Chapter 45

A/N: Please read this note because I'm going to be starting a "(insert number) votes and (insert number) comments for the next chapter" because lately a lite of people have stopped reading/voting/commenting and it literally makes me so excited to see that people have commented and I've missed that. So make sure to give a vote and comment on the chapters, and when I get a certain amount of votes and comments, I will post a new chapter :)

The continuous beep of Lauren's heart rate monitor was the only sound that filled my ears as I sat by her side one afternoon. My hand clutched onto hers tightly, and I glanced up at her face. She seemed so peaceful. The previous night, the doctors had taken out the tube that assisted in Lauren's breathing. They said that it was time.

Time for what?

Time to let her go?

Time to let her die?

Time to give up on my wife?

"Harper is three weeks old today," I told her, looking down at our joined hands. "She's getting so big."

Every time I spoke, I somehow expected a response back. I expected to hear Lauren's croaky morning voice that always made me smile. I expected, more like wanted, to hear the accent I knew too well instead of the heart rate monitor which served as a continuous reminder of Lauren's condition.

"She even had her first bath a few days ago." Every word that escaped my lips made it harder to go on. "She really liked it. She kept splashing around, and got my shirt all soaked." At that point, I struggled to even get words to come out of my mouth. "I tell her about you every day, Laur. I can't wait for you to meet her....our baby girl."

•°•°•°•°•

°•°3rd person°•°

It didn't seem to take long for Steven to finally fall asleep next to Lauren's bedside, for Harper had been keeping him up all night every night. Small snores of exhaustion escaped him every once in awhile as he laid face down on the side of the bed, still sitting in a chair by Lauren. But, throughout the whole time, his grip on Lauren's hand never faltered.

Seconds ticked by on the clock, seeming to get faster with every tick.

Suddenly, a hand began to slide up from the side of the bed. Those five fingers dragged themselvesup the blankets and found their way through the bundle of blankets. Along the way, they hit something.

Or someone.

At first, Steven wasn't awoken by the feeling of the soft fingertips brushing against his arm and running up to his shoulders. It wasn't until they lightly gripped onto his dark hair that Steven finally stirred in his sleep.

"Hmm?" Steven muttered without opening his eyes. His hair was pulled on a bit harder which caused Steven to finally lift his head up. "What the...." He began, his words soon trailing off into nothing as he realized what was happening. Steven jumped up and cautiously put his hands onto Lauren's shoulders. "Lauren?"

As soon as he spoke, Lauren's eyes popped open, and she cried out, "Pull over!" A wave of confusion washed over Steven as. Lauren screamed out continuous nonsense. "Steven, pull over!"

"What?" Steven asked to himself.

"We're not going to make it to a hospital!" Lauren continued. "The baby is coming now!"

That was when Steven realized what was happening.

Lauren thought she was still having the baby.

Everything that had happened over the past three weeks, didn't happen in her mind.

"Lauren, calm down," he said, rubbing her arm in an attempt to sooth her.

"What the hell do you mean calm down?! I'm having a baby." Lauren squeezed her eyes shut, gripping onto the sheets.

Steven thought for a moment, trying to figure out what to say. "Lauren, listen to me." She didn't respond in any way, so Steven grabbed her wrists and pulled her up and towards him. Finally, he had her attention. "Lauren, it's okay. You're not having the baby." Her breathing was heavy as she stared into Steven's eyes. "Look around you. We're in the hospital, not the car."

"What?" She stuttered.

"Look at your stomach," he went on and placed his hand on her stomach. "There's no baby in there anymore."

"Where's my baby?" Lauren began to become frantic once again. "What happened to our baby?!"

Steven used his other hand to gently brush Lauren's hair from her face. "The baby is perfectly fine. Back a few weeks ago when you had the baby, you should've had a c-section, but you forced the baby out anyway. There was so much internal damage that it caused. That's why you went into a coma."

"Where is the baby?"

"She's with Emmie and Sammy in the patient daycare," Steven replied.

Lauren's lips curled up into a bright smile. "She?"

He nodded, smiling just as big back at her.

"Can I see her?" Lauren asked, her expression showing utter excitement to meet Harper.

"I'll have to doctors come check you over, and I'll go get her." Steven gently took hold of both Lauren's hands and leaned his forehead down against hers. "I love you," he said. "I love you so much."

Then, for the first time in weeks, Steven pressed my lips against hers for a single kiss.

•°•°•°•°•

°•°Steven's POV°•°

I had never rushed down a hallway faster than I did that day. Every step, every turn, every stop I kept a bright smile on my face. I was so happy that I didn't even realize the tears of joy the streamed down my face.

When I finally reached the patient daycare, I rushed inside and scanned the room for Sammy and Emmie. They sat at a small children's table, both of them resting their heads on their hands sadly while watching the other kids happily play around them.

It didn't take long for me to run over and kneel down in front of them. Without wasting a moment, I pulled the two of them into my arms, clinging tightly onto them.

"She's okay," I mumbled, squeezing them tighter. "She's okay."

•°•°•°•°•

As we made our way back to Lauren's room, I contemplated what the doctor had stopped to tell me along the way. He informed me that taking the breathing tube out somehow jump started Lauren's body and made it finally realize that it was time to fight or die. It made her body work for itself. Apparently it was rare, but it sometimes happened.

As we approached the room, I noticed Lauren had her head turned away from the door, for she was looking out the window. I glanced down at Harper who was squirming around in my arms, and walked inside.

"You ready to meet your mommy?" I said down at Harper. Lauren instantly turned to face me, a bright smile practically glued to her face.

When I reached the side of the bed, I sat down. "Harper, this is your mommy, and Lauren, this is Harper."

"Hey, baby girl," Lauren said, choking on her words from pure and utter happiness as she took Harper into her arms

"She's three weeks old today," I said, not knowing if she could hear me earlier.

"You're so beautiful," Lauren cried with a smile, tears beginning to fall. "You look just like your daddy." She lifted Harper up and pressed her lips onto Harper's tiny nose. "She's perfect."

"We're perfect."

A/N
Chapter question: Any guesses on the major event that's happening in the next chapter??

10 votes and 4 comments for the next chapter :)