Chapter 29

No matter what, I always stayed by Lauren's side whenever I could. My hand was constantly gripping onto hers as she laid still in that hospital bed. Occasionally, I would run my fingers over the diamond wedding ring to remind myself about staying as strong as I could for Lauren, Emmie, and Sammy.

My family.

It was late at night when I heard a muffled voice coming from behind me. At first, it took me a moment to snap out of my daze and turn to face a nurse who stood at the door.

This time, her voice came out more clear. "Excuse me sir, but visiting hours are over."

I managed to give her a small nod, and the nurse left the room.

Slowly, I stood up from my chair, still holding Lauren's hand, and leaned down to place a kiss on her lips.

"I'll be back tomorrow," I said. "I love you, Lauren.....I love you so much."

I stole one last look at Lauren while standing at the door before going out into the hallway.

As always, Emmie and Sammy were asleep on one of the couches in the waiting room where the nurse at the check in kindly agreed to watch them. I knelt down in front of the couch and quickly gathered our things, and soon shook Emmie awake.

"Come on," I whispered while Emmie opened her eyes slightly. "It's time to go home." She then slowly began to sit up, rubbing her tired eyes. I leaned down and picked up Sammy, who was still asleep.

Once we had stepped out into the cold night air, Emmie took hold of my hand and said, "Maybe tomorrow....maybe tomorrow she'll wake up."

"I want mommy to come home," Sammy sighed softly with his head resting on my shoulder. I didn't respond, for I didn't want to lie to Sammy by telling him everything would be alright because I didn't know if it would be.

When we got to the car, I helped Sammy strap in and got into the driver's seat. Right as I was about to pull the car out of the parking lot, I realized that my phone was no longer in my pocket, making me stop the car.

"Dammit," I muttered quietly, and thought for a moment. "You two stay here," I began, and undid my seatbelt. "I left my phone inside." The two nodded tiredly.

I began to rush my way back into the hospital, earning a confused look from one of the nurses. "I left my phone in one of the rooms, so can I quickly get it?"

"Of course, but please hurry," the nurse responded.

It didn't take long for me to find Lauren's room and for me to go inside.

No matter how many times I walked into that room, I could never get used to seeing Lauren lying helplessly in a hospital bed. Every time, I would stop and just look at her, this particular time being no different.

I made my way over to the table that my phone was on and grabbed it. Pausing for a moment, I looked at Lauren and moved over to her bed.

It was then when the heart rate monitor began speeding up. My mouth was hanging open slightly, myself not knowing what to do. I reached out and took her hand in mine.

"Lauren?" I asked, partially in shock.

Suddenly, as I was leaning closer to Lauren, her breathing became fast, and her hand gripped onto mine.

Her lips parted slightly before Lauren breathed out quietly, "Steven...."

"Lauren?!" I gasped. "I'm here, Lauren.....I'm here."

I ran my fingers through her hair slowly to calm her down. Once Lauren's breathing slowed down, she moved my hand back down to hers before running my fingers over the wedding ring.

"Yes," she whispered.

I couldn't help but gently grab Lauren's face to finally kiss her lips.

•°•°•°•°•

As soon as the nurse saw me still in Lauren's room that night, she rushed me out. Apparently it didn't matter that Lauren had finally woken up, for it was past visiting hours. Therefore, I had to spend another night alone in bed at home.

Without Lauren laying next to me in my arms, sleeping was difficult. The bed felt so empty without her there.

I was slowly rubbing my eyes in annoyance from the lack of sleep when I heard the creak of the bedroom door. A ray of light peeked into the room, so I turned to see both Sammy and Emmie. Sammy pressed his lips together, what they wanted obvious to me.

"Oh alright," I agreed, and they both jumped onto Lauren and I's bed.

When they were both under the covers, I whispered, "She's gonna be okay....she's going to come home."

A/N
Chapter question: What do you all think about Steven being a father figure to Sammy and Emmie??

Sorry that I've been falling behind on updates once again, but things have been really rough lately.

I'm so sick right now, and I just want to sleep, so I promise that I will give a chapter shoutout in the next chapter :)