12| Kurt Wagner - True Self

Start from the beginning

Tucking a strand of your hair back behind your ear, you stepped into the garden, Kurt walking behind you. Mystique was already pairing people to train.

"And the two latecomers will be together."

You gulped. You did not dare look at Kurt. Walking toward Mystique, you tried to focus on the instructions. The only task would be to disarm the opponent the more times you could. She then proceeded to hand out wooden sticks and remind everyone that this was just an exercise. Apparently, a student had burned another one badly yesterday.

Turning around, you locked eyes with Kurt behind you. His tail was moving nervously behind him as he smiled at you. You tried to smile back at him but your lips were glued together. His face fell and you could literally see his heart shatter. What were you doing?

Mystique sent the students toward their training spot and you felt a weight being lifted from your shoulders when you realized you were in the farthest corner. You did not need everyone to see what was going to happen.

Taking a deep breath, you walked toward it. Kurt followed closely behind, trying to keep up with your pace. When you arrived, you turned around. Kurt was standing a few meters from you, his head tilted. He seemed to want to talk to you and you lowered your eyes before he could.

Moving the wooden stick in your hand, you were trying to find a good grasp when Mystique called the beginning of the training. Your heart started to pound faster and when you looked up, Kurt was teleporting himself. You barely had the time to blink that you felt something tug at your wrist, making the wooden stick fly away. Looking at your wrist, you watched Kurt's tail letting go of you and followed it to Kurt. He was looking bashfully at you. Seeing your lack of reaction, he teleported to pick the stick up and teleported back in front of you to give it back. Your heart broke at his kindness and you whispered:

"I'm sorry."

Kurt's head lifted up at your words and he looked at you expectantly and relieved.

"I'm sorry for my behavior." You felt the need to repeat, looking at your feet. "It's not against you, it's me."

Raising your head toward him, you saw him frowned. Incomprehension was printed on his face.

"Vhat's going on? I never saw you like zhat before."

You bit your bottom lip and looked at Mystique. She was reviewing the duo next to you. She would want you to use your power when she will reach you and Kurt. It was time.

"You'll see, I guess." You muttered as you took the wooden stick and stepped away from him. Kurt watched you stepping back and did the same. When Mystique arrived, he teleported.

This time, you created a force-shield around you and as you turned around, you felt Kurt's tail hit it. You sent a blast of energy at him and he fell on the ground. You walked toward him and picked the stick where he had fallen. Mystique congratulated you before leaving.

Focusing back on Kurt, you watched him sit. His eyes were wide opened when he looked at you. You knew what he was seeing: you were not hiding when you were using your power. Your entire body was a black shadow except for the electric blue of your eyes, shining like two neon lights in the darkness. You felt tears building up in your eyes and focused on turning yourself back into your made-up appearance, your normal appearance.

When you did, you let go of the wooden stick and walked away, not wanting to see the rejection on Kurt's face. But when he teleported in front of you, you could not avoid it anymore.

"Vhere you're going? Ve're not finished training." He asked, frowning at the sight of your red, watery eyes.

You tried to hold up the tears and stuttered: "I don't think you want to see anymore of this."

"Zhis? You mean you?" He stepped closer and you stepped back. Kurt grabbed your hand to prevent you from getting away and he stepped closer again. "You're beautiful, (Y/N)." His amber eyes were locked with yours and you could see he was sincere.

"I'm not. I look like a black and blue alien."

Seeing your despair, Kurt smiled slightly at you: "I like blue."

Your voice shaky, you asked him: "You don't find me hideous?" You had trouble believing it.

"No, no." His hand came cupping your cheek and you blushed. His face was starting to get closer to yours. "I like everyzhing about you."

A tear streamed down your face and Kurt stopped it with his thumb. When his amber eyes locked with yours, he took a deep breath and moved closer to you until your lips met. It was not even a kiss. His lips were simply grazing at yours. His eyes closed, he was about to move away when you reached for his jacket and pulled yourself closer to him, making you kiss. You moved your lips against his and felt him respond before you pulled away. Kurt flashed a smile at you and you blushed.

"I'm sorry for my behavior earlier. I just never thought you would accept this."

"I understand. I felt zhe same." Kurt admitted.

You frowned before realizing he was talking about his appearance too. "That's stupid, you're handsome." You answered, the tip of your fingers grazing at the scars on his cheeks like you had dreamt of so many times before.

"You know how I feel about you zhen." He whispered to you, his tail wrapping around your waist as he moved his thumb along your jaw and lips.

"What do you think you're doing?" Mystique broke behind you. Kurt and you instinctively stepped away from each other. Embarrassment was visible on both your faces and Mystique smiled. You frowned at her behavior but she interrupted your thoughts:

"Get back to work." And on those words, she left with a strange smile on her lips.

When you turned around to Kurt and saw the warm smile he was giving you,you did not feel ashamed or afraid about revealing your true form again.