The Great River

WARNING!

Another spoiler as said in the last chapter, but ... Just DO NOT READ if you don't know what happens in the Hobbit and don't want it spoiled.

Here's the story

Aragorn whispered a question or two the whole ride. I only told him that I would not answer questions with the hobbits in the boat. I hoped this would make him row faster a Caleniel and Legolas seemed to be looking around from time to time, and we were losing daylight hours.

I sighed and closed my eyes for a moment.

I jumped as the boat hit something, and Aragorn embraced me.

Aragorn didn't even try to look at me. "It can't hurt to fall in the water, but we've arrived." 

I quickly got out of his arms. "What's with that face? Missing Arwen?" I quickly stood up. 

Aragorn grabbed a hold of my arm. "I'd like to speak with you."

I rolled my eyes. "Why?"

Aragorn stayed silent a moment, and I walked to the shore. I didn't want to be bothered with this idiological part of my life. Aragorn wanted Arwen. I didn't know how badly but...

I didn't know how badly. . .

"Bre." 

"Aragorn." 

"May I speak with you?" 

I turned around, facing him with less than a foot between us. "Fine." 

                                                                  ~~~~~~~

We stayed silent, watching each other. I was leaning back against a tree, and Aragorn was sitting on a rock. Our gazes locked for long periods of time. Every time I shivered I looked away, and we basically took turns looking away. Neither of us said a word, and so much time had already passed.

I sighed. "How much time do you intend to waste?"

"How much of the truth do you intend to tell?"

"What?"

"That ring. By the blue color I can tell it belongs to some line of loyalty. Who are you really?"

I frowned. "I have not lied about that. I am Bre Gwall. I was from a different land, and I was born to what all the peoples of Middle Earth call men."

Aragorn's head titled slightly. "Different land?"

"It is a world far different than this one. Horse were not as useful as they are here. One could fly through the air in metal that weighed almost a ton." I looked up at the arriving night sky. "And new discoveries of the stars were made daily. I know more about those stars and universes out there more than anyone here." 

Aragorn slowly nodded. "You said 'I WAS from a different land.' Why 'was'?"

"I have not been home in sixty years. Even if I wanted to, I could not go back; it would not be the same." I forced a smile. "Therefore, I consider myself from this land now." 

"That ring is from this world, and Galandriel mentioned Thorin Oakenshield. Wasn't he a dwarf king?" 

"Yes... He was..." I looked away. 

"A thief should at least bury a king with his ring." 

"I did not steal it!" I stood right in front of Aragorn. 

Aragorn stood up with wide eyes. "Do not be so loud."

"Why do you think I whisper-yelled?"

Aragorn paused. "Whisper-yelled?"