Story: Forty Three

"Are you okay?"

You scrubbed your eyes tiredly. "Yeah, I was up with Frisk all night."

Sans is sitting on the cot in front of his computer, pulling his shirt off, and replacing it with a lab coat. "Why? What was wrong?"

"She was having nightmares."

He pauses. "About?"

"... you leaving." It's not a complete lie. "She's afraid you won't come back."

He seems okay with that answer. You can't help but wonder how he would've reacted to the full truth...
"That's a normal thing for her. When someone leaves, she gets very worried. Of course, I can't blame her-"
He sighs. "Did she have any other nightmares?"

".... just the ones about you."

He glances at his screen, brow bones furrowed, before saying,"what else?"

Darn. "Well.... she maybe had a few about... you... attacking her..." You wince as he immidiantly looks away.

".... can't say I blame her for that, either." Then he moves off screen to go find his pants. "It was those, uh, things on her back, huh?"

"Yeah." You can't see him, but the rustle of cloth tells you he's getting dressed, or something like it.

"I thought so. I heard she had lots of them while I wasn't here. Like, before I showed up again." He flopped into the cot, smiling. "It's all cool. You know, you don't have to keep things from me."

"It's know."

He drums his fingers on the laptop, and you smile. "Of course you do. Alright, I've gotta go, babe. But I love you."

"I love you, too, Sans."

He lingers for a few more seconds, just watching you, before finally ending the Skype call.

~

The first whole month was easy going. You started staying more and more at Tori's house, staying up late to help Frisk sleep better.
Sans was worried about you not sleeping enough, but you brushed him off.

"It's okay. Besides, I'm used to this."

He wasn't convinced and promised he'd try coming home early. You knew he wouldn't, but it was a nice gesture to at least say it.
He promised and promised, everyday, but you know what ended up happening?
He actually got delayed.

"They need me here another month." He said, the night he was supposed to head back, at the end of his two months. He looked ultimately defeated. "Some of the inmates are acting up, and these people here aren't very strong. So they need me to be the muscle guy."

"Not literally, obviously!" You joked, trying to lighten the mood.
He looked away.

"I'm sorry."

"No, it's alright."

"No, it's not. I feel like I'm missing shit. What if something-"

"'What if' nothing. It's fine." You wanted to reach out and comfort him, but that wasn't possible. "You'll be home soon. It's fine."

He face plants his cot, groaning in annoyance and folding both hands over the back of his skull. Sounding muffled, he yelled, "life isn't fair!"

You'd never heard him say that. He seemed fine until now. "Sans-"

"No, it's nothing. Don't bother asking." He lifts his head, smiling tiredly. "Sorry, I'm just stressed. This is a lot of work, and everyday dangers- inmates get out often, and I'm usually the one to-" He pauses. "Well, that's not the point. It's stressful."

You nodded. "I know. I know, you keep saying that, and I wish I was there. Please be safe, yeah?"

He nods encouragingly. "Just for you."

~

You didn't promise the same.
Stressed about Sans, and just in general, you went to Grillby's.
You sat at the counter, and he was there in a second, slipping a drink in front of you.
You thank him softly, stirring it with your finger without drinking.

"Hey, you alone tonight doll?"

Fighting an aggrivated noise, you glance at the monster next to you. Of course, he's a wierd thing, not exactly any specific animal, but definetly reptilian. He's got big droopy ears with tufts of fur in them and on the tips.

"No, I'm meeting someone." You lie, sliding your shot glass closer and looking away.

"Aw, ain't no reason to lie, you can trust me, doll." His ears twitch a bit, and he turns more in your direction. The pet name is already annoying you.
He's obviously drunk, or at least tipsy, because his voice is slightly slurred.

You try and ignore him, but he gets handsy really fast, and he reaches out to touch your hair.
You jerk away, sneering. "Back off, jerk."

"C'mon, doll-" He reaches out again, and you stand half way up before Grillby shows up, grabbing the guy and pulling him off his seat.

You watch as the monster sniggers, "aw, grillbz, I was just have'n a bit o' fun-"

Grillby shoves him towards the door, glaring as the guy stumbles out, still snickering, then turns to you and holds out a cup of water. Where he got it, you aren't sure, but hell, why not?

You accept. "Th-thank you, Grill."

The fire monster nods softly, then pulls out a rag and wipes up the spilled alcohol on the counter.

Now where did that-? "Oh! Grillby, did I spill that? I'm sorry-" You start, but he raises his hand and cuts you off.

~

Tori is the one who calls you first.

"(Y/n)? I-I need you right now."

Your gaze drifts to Sans, who's curiously watching from his side of the screen. "Tori? What's wrong?"

"Frisk doesn't wanna live with me. She's going back with her other family."

"S- alright, I'm coming, hold on." You speak to Sans: "I've gotta go."

"Is everything okay?" He asks, alarmed.

"Um- I don't had enough time to-" You get up, yanking your jacket on. "Explain, I'll call you, tell you-" You run out, skipping stairs as you make your way down.

At Tori's house, Frisk is up in her room, and Tori is sitting at the kitchen table, covering her face.

"Tori?"

Your old therapist leaps in surprise, then cries, "oh, (Y/n), it's just awful!" She stands up and wraps you in a bone crushing hug."She misses them, and would like to live with them again! It's unbearable!"

You pat her back, struggling to breath. "I'm sorry, Tori."

She isn't crying, but she just seems desperate for physical comfort, and your more than willing to give.

"I understand that she still loves them, and I support her choice, for she's simply a child, but it still hurts to lose another." She sighs. "Oh, and I so hoped she'd stay."

You nod. "So did I, but she could come back."

"Of course. Don't tell Sans."

That was sudden. "Why?"

"I want to tell him. Okay? Just, keep this to yourself."

"Of course." You muttered, still rubbing her back gently. "Of course."