Chapter 22-An Understanding

I'm trying to upload more frequently as everything's coming to a close and I wouldn't want you to be left hanging too long :P Anyway there's a few more chapters to go until them but guess what: IF YOU COMMENT AND VOTE I UPLOAD QUICKER!!! :D so please let me know what you think <3

I haven't checked this over so sorry for any mistakes anyways enjoy my lovelies 

They stood outside the dilapidated, wrecked remains of the shop that had started it all, no one seeming to want to be the first to enter.

As usual Simon decided to try and break the tension-only somewhat successfully.

“Ok gang let’s split up and look for clues.”

Clary snorted despite herself.

“I’ve always wanted to say that.”

Clary rolled her eyes “How long have you been planning that then?”

Simon shrugged with mock casualness, “It just came to me.”

The other three just stared at them with blank expressions.

Simon tried to explain. “It’s a catch phrase from Scooby-Doo. Fred’s catchphrase to be precise…”

“Simon they’re not going to know Scooby-Doo.”

“A childhood without Scooby-Doo, I shudder at the thought.” Simon said dramatically. They all failed to crack a smile.

“We had a childhood learning how to kill things so unless you shut up I’ll demonstrate just what a good student I was.” Jace said threateningly.  

“Come on.” Isabelle muttered with an annoyed expression pushing past them and through the door that was half hanging off its hinges and into the derelict shop.

It looked exactly as it had done when Magnus, Jace and Alec had last left it: A complete and utter mess with shattered remnants of old statues, china ornaments, paintings and various other ancient relics lay scattered across the ground.

“This shouldn’t take too long.” Jace said sarcastically.

And together they began to search.

The group looked for a very long time, even longer than strictly necessary-none of them wanting to be the one to say what they were all thinking. Finally, when there was literally nowhere else to search, Simon spoke.

“Look I hate to state the obvious but…it’s not here.”

“Great deduction Sherlock.” Clary muttered.

Suddenly Jace remember something.

“Wait remember last time?” he said, turning to Magnus. “Someone else was here except us. That person we saw trying to steal something.”

“Who was it?” inquired Isabelle.

“I don’t know. Alec and I chased after them but they turned a corner and seemed to just disappear. We never caught them. But what if what they took the chest?”

“But what would they want with it?” Simon asked.

“Do you think they knew what it was?” added Clary

“I doubt it. They probably just thought it looked valuable and that they could sell it for a decent amount.”

“We should have put warding around here to stop anyone else coming in after the first time,” Isabelle suggested too late.

“They Clave should have, you mean.”

“I doubt burglaries are high on their priority list.”