Chapter 15-Blank Memories

Thanks again for all your lovely comments :P I'm trying to stick to a schedule of uploading once a week....we'll see how well that goes but anyway hope you enjoy this chapter and please comment and let me know what you thought :D 

Alec awoke groggily. His head was pounding and his throat was dry. He tried to look around but a horrible spasm shot down his neck making him groan. His eyes strained in the darkness to make sense of where he was but the effort was soon too much and he relaxed back into the…bed. He was lying in a bed, presumably in the Institute

Feeling the crisp sheets beneath him he shivered and gingerly drew the blanket that someone had placed on top of him, up towards his chin. He sighed gently.

One part of his mind was telling him that there was something he needed to do. Something he needed to find out and someone he needed to find. But the throbbing in his head was growing and Alec was only too glad to let unconsciousness drag him back down.

After an indistinguishable amount of time Alec awoke for the second time feeling irritable and confused. He stretched, ignoring the pain in his arm and the ache in his muscles, until he heard the satisfying pop of the vertebrate in his spine. He rolled over and found himself face to face with his sleeping sister.

Isabelle was slumped forward in her chair with her head leaning on her arms which were resting on the edge of the bed. Her face was unconsciously turned towards him and her hair splayed around her in wild, dark tangles.

Alec also noticed, to his displeasure, that there were worry lines etched between her eyebrows and there were purplish bags under her eyes indicating that she hadn’t been sleeping much. It seemed he hadn’t been the only one.

By the angel he had missed her.

He watched her for a few moments and began to feel exceedingly guilty for how he had been avoiding her. They had always been close and ever since…Max, Alec had to force himself to think his name, they had grown even closer. But due to his hiding out in his room due to his horrible dreams they had hardly seen each other in the past few weeks.

Forcing down his feeling of shame he promised himself that he would make more of an effort to spend time with Isabelle. They were just dreams anyway. Only dreams. He would never really hurt her, he promised himself.

Something niggled at the back of his mind, a thought which seemed to slip away as soon as he tried to focus on it. He felt as though there was an important piece of information he should be remembering…but he couldn’t. His instincts hinted that something was missing because there was nothing he could do.

Hopefully it would come to him later.

Shaking off the strange crawling sensation Alec continued to watch the sleeping figure of his sister until his eyes began to droop but before he could slip back into sleep he saw her stir. A few moments later he saw her eyes flutter open to meet his blearily.

“Hey,” he said gently, “you didn’t look very comfortable there.”

Isabelle sat up slowly rolling her shoulders and working the kinks out of her neck.

“Hey, you’re awake.” Her voice was husky from sleep and she peered hard at Alec as her eyed adjusted to the dimness of the room.

“But clearly you’re not.” Alec’s voice held the hint of a smile at his sister’s dazed state.

“I was only resting my eyes,” she retorted, “while I waited for you to wake up.”

“How long have I been out?” he asked.

Isabelle shifted uncomfortably in her seat. “Oh…just over…” she grabbed her phone from the pocket of her black jeans and checked the time, “….a little over eight hours.”