Chapter 11-Confusion and Clues

• Dedicated to Kshama Patel

Yes I know I said Sunday and this isn't Sunday and for that I am extremely sorry but I had a lot of trouble with this chapter :/ It hasn't really turned out exactly how I wanted but I felt like I needed to let you have it anyway so this was rushed and completed at 11:08pm but anyway sorry for any mistakes/typos, i'm tired. Sorry for the delay, hope you enjoy it and please vote and comment :D Thank you for your patience and co-operation xxx

The rest of that evening had passed with little incident except a few more surly exchanged between Deacon and Jace and Simon’s adamant exclamations that the fly he found in his food had been put there deliberately.

Having already given Isabelle his present of a beautiful silver bracelet he’d bought a while back-which had the ability to shoot thin spikes from it-he retired to his room almost immediately when they reached the Institute. He wanted nothing more than to be alone.

Isabelle called after him, thanking him again for the present and asking if he wanted hot chocolate but he ignored her.

He lay in bed that night, fighting the urge to sleep just like always, staring sadly at the black screen of the phone he hadn’t dared to touch in days. His fingers itched to check the screen; to call Magnus, but he was too much of a coward to face him for the moment.

But eventually sleep, as it always did, claimed him. Yet this night it was not dreams that plagued him and he slept soundly on unaware that his body was no longer in his bed. He trudged slowly to the door of his room, opening it without hesitation and pacing quietly out to the corridor beyond.

He would probably reached the Institutes front door if not for an eerily loud sound in the silent corridor waking him.

His head snapped up as consciousness suddenly flooded through him again. He span around but his vision was a tunnel of inky darkness. He was blind.

Alec opened his mouth to yell for help but all at once his vision cleared and he was met with the sight of the dim, shadowy hallway that led to the front door of the Institute.

“By the angel,” he muttered shakily running a pale hand through his tangled hair.

How had he ended up here? Clearly it must have been sleepwalking but that was something had never, in his entire life, happened to him before.

He puzzled over that for a moment before noticing the sound which must have awoken him, the gentle purring just behind him.

It was Church.

The cat was moving leisurely towards him but when Alec’s gaze locked with Church’s the cat froze suddenly, staring at him with seemingly wary eyes, as though assessing him. But when Alec tried to move closer, intending to pet the cat, Church’s hair stood on end and, arching his back, he hissed fiercely at Alec.

“Church, c’mon it’s just me,” he murmured. He took another step forwards and Church’s yellow eyes grew even larger as his posture grew even more tense.

What on earth was wrong with him?

Reaching out to comfort the creature Alec cursed as Church took a swipe with his claws, raking them across the back of Alec’s hand before turning on his heel and slinking quickly off into the shadows.

Shaking his head he trudged wearily back to his bedroom, flexing the fingers of his injured hand. It stung but wasn’t worth an iratze.

He ran it under the sink in his bathroom for a few moments just to be safe. Glancing up to the mirror he could have sworn he saw a red fire dancing behind his eyes. But just like the last time it was gone so quickly he, especially in his sleep deprived state, clearly must have imagined it.