• six •

Bailey Runner

    The lights were too bright, I kept my eyes shut, unable to handle it.

    I gripped something under my hands, and my back felt sore like I was being held against something.

    I wanted to speak but I couldn't, there was something in my mouth.

     I tried once more to open my eyes, I kept them open even though the light was blinding.

  I could feel fabric on my body and out of the corner of my eye, I saw that I was wearing a very ratty white t-shirt and my Doc Martin's.

    "She's awake," I could hear a man's voice to my right.

    I searched until I spotted him, he looked big in the smaller space.

    His eyes were the first thing I could see, they were dark brown, like his hair.

  Another figure stood close to him but I couldn't make out his or her features.

   He stood up from the chair he'd been sitting in. I felt tears come to my eyes, my past had caught up with me.

    But this wasn't him, it was just a man, but it didn't matter, he could just be one of his goons.

    The man stared at me strangely. "This will all go smoother if you choose to cooperate," he replied.

    "My name is Kane, I'm going to take the gag out of your mouth," he replied softly, as if he was trying to soothe me.

   I tried to back away but my hands and legs were tied to the chair I was sitting in.

    I whimpered as he got closer. "Shhhh... I'm not going to hurt you... not if I don't have to." he replied but I was too afraid.

   He eventually got close enough and took out the gag. I let out a sob and gripped the chair until my knuckles were white.

   Kane watched me and if I hadn't been so out of it I would've thought he looked upset.

    He waited until I had calmed down before moving his chair to sit right in front of me.

   I tried to back away as much as I could but he was still very much in my personal space.

   "Whe-Where is Jason?" I whispered hoarsely.

    Kane stayed silent, his facial expression not changing as he stared at me.

    "Is-is he alive?" I asked, my heart starting to beat fast in my chest, the idea of him being dead seemed to be too much.

  Kane only stared at me for a few moments before speaking. "What is your name?" He asked.

   I stared at him, my fear turning into anger. What did he mean "what's your name?' Didn't he already know?

   "Look at me," he told me softly and my eyes snapped up to his.

   "What is your name?" He asked softly but more firmly than before.