Saving the Rat

Requested by Anonymous
Rating: Mature (ish)
Warnings: Mentions of medical procedures, body fluids (vomit), language
(A/N: when I was up in Oregon visiting my dad, he told me about how he had went through this and it was absolutely horrible. So hopefully I'll be able to do this request justice ;w; )

If there was one thing Jamison Fawkes was bad at, it was hiding pain. He had already gotten used to the phantom pains of his right arm and leg, but he'll still show that he's hurting. Mako would pick up from Jamie's actions or words that he's in some sort of pain, despite how many times the small junker would tell him he's not.

"It ain't nothin' to worry about, mate!" He says that when his arm or leg is really bothering him, or if he's getting a headache.

"It's just a scratch, nothin' more!" He says this when he's bleeding somewhere, either from a bullet wound or just from somehow hurting himself.

But this time, something was really bothering Jamie. For the past couple of days, he's been clutching onto his stomach as if he'd get sick at any moment. And it was bothering the hell out of Mako.

They had set up a small camp outside of a city, and that was when Jamie started to feel worse, causing Mako to become concerned.

"Boss, are you sure you're alright?" the big guy questioned. Jamie rolled his eyes.

"Of course I'm alroight, I just-" He yelped in pain, grabbing his right side and sighing shakily. "Oh fuck, what'd I eat this mornin'? I think I'm gonna..." He leaned over and threw up, groaning.

Mako was at his side in seconds, rubbing Jamie's back softly as he emptied his stomach contents. He handed Jamie a bottle of water after he had gotten done, not leaving his side.

"Ugh... T-Thanks, mate," Jamie said shakily, trying to open the bottle. Mako sighed and took it from him, opening it and handing it back to him. Jamie smiled a tiny bit before downing the whole bottle, dropping it to the ground after he was done and laying on his back.

"We might need to get you some help," Mako suggested. Jamie quickly protested.

"A lil' stomach virus ain't gonna stop good ol' Jamison Fawk-" He sat up and grabbed onto his side again, his breathing coming out shallow.

"How bad does it feel?" Mako asked, trying to hide his concern.

"L-Like someone's twistin' a knife in me side... A hot knife, too, slowly and painfully..." Jamie groaned softly. "I'll be fine, we're still doin' the heist. Just... Just make sure I'm still breathin' in the mornin', alroight?"

Mako nodded, and Jamie thanked him before laying on his left side. Mako looked up at the sky and sighed. "Don't even know why we're robbing a bank in the city where Overwatch had started." Jamie laughed a little.

"Ah, it'll be foine. They broke up years ago, why would they risk gettin' themselves caught for bein' do-gooders?"

"Right, because we have nothing to worry about," Mako retorted. "Get some sleep, Jamison."

"Oh, alroight," Jamie whined, giggling before eventually falling asleep.

--------

Mako could handle just about anything that goes bump in the night. It came with being a bodyguard for someone as notorious as Junkrat, as well as being hunted himself.