Asking For Your Father's Blessing

I took a deep breath as I looked down at the Welcome Mat in front of Y/n's parents' front door. I sure was hoping they would be welcoming to me while I talked to them and asked them one of the biggest questions I've ever asked anyone.

I reached up and my knuckles knocked against the wood door. I wiped my sweaty hands on my pants as I waited for one of her parents to come to the door.

"Liam? Hi. Are you here alone? Has something happened?" Her mother asked as she opened the door and then looked towards the car in search of Y/n.

"I'm here alone, actually. I wanted to talk to you and Y/father/n about something." I said.

"Why don't you come in. He's in the living room watching football." She said as she stepped to the side and let me in.

I followed Y/n's mum into the living room where her dad was sitting in his recliner watching a football game.

"Liam, how are you? Where's Y/N?" He asked.

"I uh came here alone. I was wondering if I could talk to you and Y/mother/n, actually." I said nervously.

"Sure. What's bothering you, Liam?" He asked.

"Mr. and Mrs. Y/last/n, I love your daughter very much. She's made me happier than I've ever been and I've been thinking about her and our future together a lot lately." I said. "I guess what I'm trying to say is...I want to ask her to marry me and I wanted to know if I could have your blessing before I do it."

I looked over at him as I saw her father's eyebrows knit together. I could tell he was really thinking about this.

"I don't know, Liam. I mean you're a great guy and everything and it's obvious that Y/n is in love with you. You make her really happy, and that's all I want for her. It's just that I have some concerns...I guess I'm jsut a little worried." He said in a very serious tone as he looked over at me.

I felt my heart drop to the floor. He wasn't going to give me his blessing to propose to Y/n.

"Sir, I love her very much. I'd do anything to make her happy-"

"I don't doubt that, Liam. I'm just worried about the impact your job and the fame will have on her and your marriage. You'll be away a lot and I've seen Y/n very upset in the past because she misses you. I also know that you're well known and I don't want any fans to try to tear the two of you apart and I don't want her to get hated on because you guys are getting married."

My biggest fear was coming true. I was always afraid that my job would get in the way of my relationship with Y/n, and now it was possibly keeping me from marrying her.

"First, having to leave her is a part of why I want to marry her. I love her and want to marry her, obviously, but if we're married she can come with me when I travel. We wouldn't have to be separated anymore. And if she didn't want to come with me, I would fly to her. I will do anything to make her happy and make our marriage work. I don't want to be without her. I want to show her that no matter what I do or where I go that she is the most important person in my life and that she has my heart." I said as my voice began to crack. I was trying to keep myself calm and to not cry in front of her parents but it was hard. "And as far as the fans go...I know they all love me and wish they could be in her place. But none of them compare to her. There may be some who are unhappy about me being with your daughter but they won't keep us apart. And I don't care what any of them say about her or my relationship with Y/n. I love her and nothing is going to change that."

"Liam, I can tell how much you care about her. And I can see how much marrying her means to you. You have my blessing, and I'd be happy to see her become Mrs. Payne." Her father said as he reached over and shook my hand.

I smiled and felt a weight lift off my shoulders. I had the blessing to propose. Now all I had to do was figure out how I wanted to ask her.