Chapter Eight: The Elder

I tear my fixation from the blaze and see she is refilling her mug of coffee. She hasn't said a word since she brought me in to the little cottage.

 As soon as I walked inside she sat me on a high stool that has a complementary marble-topped island, and started a fire. The cottage has two rooms on the bottom level. The kitchen and the sitting area share the same space, and there is a bathroom cramped into the corner to the right of the fire. I can see a small stairwell that must lead to a second floor and my eyes slowly wander back to the woman's crinkled face.

"You must be confused, my dear," She states with a knowing tone.

I'm shaken from my trance and my eyes snap to hers. I nod my head cautiously.

She smiles warmly, "You mustn't be afraid, child. I am of no harm to you."

I say nothing.

She tucks her lips in a small show of disapproval before continuing, "I am Kamili, the Mist Pack's elder."

Kamili stirs sugar into her drink, "I know of everything you seek. You must only ask."

Her gaze raises to meet mine and I am paralyzed with a certain anxiety. I cannot tell what she is thinking behind those wise eyes.

"I-I do not seek anything." I stutter.

"Dear child, do not lie to me. I am here as a friend, not a foe." She speaks calmly.

Her posture is welcoming and I finally take in the cozy scents around me. I do not know what they are, for they are so much different than those of my homelands, but I cherish them. My cautious manner seems to be shrugged off as she speaks.

"Tell me child, what is it that you want to know first?" She gently pushes.

I talk slowly, "How is Quillo my brother?"

A spark jolts in her eye, "Ah, yes. I do recall Kinta dear saying something about that."

Kamili smiles sweetly, "I trust you have been told about the great gathering of the alphas to decide on breeding?"

"Uhh," I quickly recall Quillo's uneasy conversation, "Yes, yes I have."

She nods, "Well that year your alpha was chosen to complete the Snow Pack's side of the bargain."

The withered woman's eyes become sad and distant, "Your mother was left alone and hopelessly abandoned that night. She sat mostly in dark areas, so one might not detect her grief. That only made it easy for Tahatan-"

At his name her voice changed into a blood-curdling curse and she paused for a moment to gain her composure.

She meets me eyes with so much sorrow, "To rape her."

I freeze and feel my muscles tense. I glare into the flame as hot tears blaze trails down my cheeks. Anger is my wolf's first reaction; a defense. For once I feel her seething and my vision flashes. Sorrow is my own, though, and yet again we are at ends.