Chapter Four: A Dark Welcome

My eyes widen from their slumbersome state. I feel groggy and hazed. I attempt to sit up; wanting to be in a less vulnerable position, but a throb in my head keeps me at bay.

The figure prowls closer and chuckles darkly, "I honestly thought you were dead."

I growl a warning; not trusting this strange person.

"Aw you don't recognize me? What a shame. I thought you'd know instantly." His figure is a tall 6' 3".

I cock my head in question, but I am still on full alert. That knife in his hand could stab me at any moment, and I wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it.

"I don't have all day for you to silently question everything. Take a whiff already." He spits.

I know I won't come up with much. My human senses aren't as advanced as my wolf's. I feel her probing from the back of my mind, and then think about her snapping at me, before shoving her back into the crevices of our head. I sniff the room. It hits me immediately. The scent is so strong it makes my nostrils burn. It smells like snow and sap.

"Quillo." I voice my thoughts with a shaky whisper.

He gives that evil chuckle again, "I'm glad you finally caught on, little sis. I thought I hit your head too hard."

This is not the welcome I was expecting and I feel my hair standing on end. He isn't right. I give a low growl. His face lowers to mine and I am put into shock instantly. He has the same cold, grey eyes as my own. My growl stops as I study his features.

Quillo is broad shouldered, like my pack, but that's where his similarities end. His hair is pitch black and his nose is shorter. He has sharp cheek bones, and darker skin than me. My kin's expression holds so much hate that his eyes feel like white-hot irons shoved on my skin. I feel loathed and almost jerk back from this sudden blast of revulsion directed towards me. Why isn't he happy to see me?

His face twists into a wicked grin and it feels as though a whip was just cracked upon my face.

"So you're so taken back by my beauty that you have a loss of voice. I have that affect on people." He straightened from his hunched over position, studying his hand with a bored expression.

I don't know what to say. He raises his cruel eyes to mine again, "Why are you here?"

My breath is caught in my throat. I swallow before attempting words.

"M-mother sent me." I stammer as I lower my eyes. It feels unnatural to give up so easily, but I have never felt such strong emotions directed at me.

Quillo releases a sigh of frustration that confuses me even more, "Of course she did."

I look up with questioning eyes, only to look down again when his gaze meets mine. He has so much puzzling fury written all over his face.

"You don't belong here. Go back to your pack." He snaps, "Go back to our mother and tell her if she sends you or any other pack member again I will slaughter them."

A gasp escapes my careful facade and my eyes widen. I cannot bring myself to describe my shock. I feel betrayed and vulnerable. My curious stature shuts down as I remember my my mother's face. 

Anger rises and tastes like bile in my throat, so I spit it out, "My mother is dead! And she spent her dying breath on your name, yet you send her a threat. My pack is gone! She told me to find you, but I don't know why, since your such a demonic being. You should never have made it passed maturity. I do not know you, but I already wish death becomes you! You insulted my dead kin, who are your kin as well. You should have no mercy in the afterlife. HOW DARE YOU INSULT THEM!"