Chapter Ten • Kai

"Honestly, what a bore that Mother Nature can be. I can barely believe she used to be one of us Aestas," Flora complained as she stretched her long arms over her head. She looked to be a little bit under six feet. My goodness was she tall. And obviously not ashamed of her body. Her beaded red sundress showed off her long tan legs and fit body. But, she managed not to look slutty. I sighed.

"What's an Aestas?" I asked, and she gave me the run down of terms. Okay, I had this. I could do it. I was an Aestas. Future leader of the Aestas. The thought gave me shivers. 

"Though I'm sure the thought of a tour gives you chills, would you like to do something fun instead?" The blonde asked. I looked her over one more time. She looked older, around eighteen. But the look in her blue eyes really didn't seem too harmless. But, I nodded anyhow. I needed something to look forward to around here.

"Time you met the Court then."

The dinning hall wasn't very crowded at this hour it seemed. Everyone was in classes. Except the three people lounging on some of the tables. They were chatting among themselves, two of them arguing rather forcefully.

"No way! Teddy is for sure going to win top Auct this year. He is the most powerful one they've seen in decades!" A male with blond hair yelled at the male across from him at the table who just rolled his eyes.

"Maybe in past years. But what about that newbie we saw earlier. The new leader. It's about time someone knocked Teddy off that high horse of his," the black haired male said, his elbow propped up on the table and his chin resting in his hand. He looked bored with the argument.

And then it came to me. Fawn. He was talking about Fawn. Why were they even arguing about the Aucts?

The blond male scoffed. "The scarlet haired newbie with no knowledge of Tempus? Yeah, good luck with that bet."

As we approached, I noticed the third Tempus before us. She was sprawled out on the table, lying on her stomach. She was looking down at a thick dusty book, not paying attention to the boys arguing just in front of her. Her bright red hair fell around her freckled face as she looked down. She looked up as we approached. She was unfairly beautiful. Like everyone here.

The red head smiled at Flora at first, but then it faded when her brown eyes reached me. The two males at the table ceased arguing and turned their attention to us. I watched them whisper to each other before turning us.

"Flora, I see you brought the new Aestas," the blond said to Flora with a questioning gaze.

"Don't be so crude, William. She is one of us now. Aren't you?" she asked me, having to look down at me.

"Yes, I suppose so," I said in response.

"Yes, well, sit down, darling, meet the losers I call my friends," Flora teased with a pearly grin towards the group.

I nodded and sat down on the bench and Flora sat beside me. The bare food redheaded girl sat up but remained sitting on the table.

"This is William," Flora said, gesturing to the blond, who grinned at me. "He is a little bit of a ladies man. So I wouldn't suggest dating him," she whispered in my ear and I couldn't help but actually genuinely smile.

"Then there's Matthew. He doesn't really care about anything." The brunet male didn't even look up from the book the redhead was reading moments before. Flora leaned over to whisper again. "He is top of his class in everything. Including combat. So I would have to advise against pissing him off."

He sure looked harmless, but I bet he was anything but. His dark green cardigan and black slacks looked normal enough. But looks seemed to be deceiving.

"So tell me, newbie, what's your specialty?" the redhead asked out of the blue. I stared at her in confusion. "You see. All Tempus, or at least all Aestas Tempus have a special ability. That either they are more talented in than everyone else, or that other's can't do at all. So, what's yours?"

"Um, I don't know," I muttered, gripping the bench beneath me.

"I suppose that's valid, but you can't blame me for asking." This girl looked a little younger than myself, but spoke with diction that I would never have. "So, what's your name? Or am I just going to have to keep calling you newbie?"

"Kai." I continued to grip the wood bench until my hands burned with effort.

"Whoa! We got a Burner!"

I looked up in confusion, then noticed the smoked coming from beneath me. I quickly lifted my hands and found burn marks on the bench. I marveled at my hands in awe and terror.

"You would think there would be lots of talented Burners around here, but it's mostly you and me, Kai," the redhead girl said with a smile. "I'm Zoë."

"If you don't mind me asking, Zoë, how old are you?" I inquired.

The girl just laughed. "That's real question, isn't it." Then I felt, the pure, pulsing power coming from this girl, who looked around fifteen or fourteen. Power radiated from her like a roaring fire.

I thought better than to ask further.

Zoë smiled, letting her legs dangle off the table. She pushed a few strands of burning red hair behind her ear. Her ear. I caught myself staring at her ear. It was pointed. Like... Like a-

"Faerie?" I gawked at her in disbelief. "That's right, I originate from this world. Mother Nature Superior is my aunt." I continued to stare at her. I was never told about there being any Fae in this world.

"Hm, there is lots for you to learn it seems. But just listen to this, anything is possible here. Especially among us Aestas," Flora said with a grin. I just nodded. "Now, let's go. The Sun Fields are something every Aestas must see."