Chapter Two • Jack

I came off the stage with a bow and strode behind the curtains, disappearing in the red fabric. As soon as I entered the area of musicians, I received a lot of pats on the back and 'You were great out there!'s. But I didn't care about any of their congratulations. I only cared for her's.

"Jack!" Simon called from across the room and almost knocked over a couple people practicing in order to get to me.

"What is it Simon?" I groaned, turning to look at him.

"What is it you want most?" He asked as if he already knew the answer and I'm sure he did. 

"Ummm... World peace? Possession of all the world's chocolate?" I asked, even if I knew what he was talking about.

"No, doofus. Fawn Grey just had her accompanist cancel on her, apparently he got snowed in. You know she's screwed if you don't do something." He said with a teasing grin.

I sighed and scanned the room, catching sight of Fawn on the back wall, headphones over her ears. She always seemed to be like that, lost in the world of music. She seemed to like it better than the real world. "And you really think this will change things?" I asked, turning back to him. But he had already disappeared.

I willed my feet move, slowly making my way across the room filled with music. Some days, I think I love her and she loved me back. And other days it was like we didn't exist to each other. These last few weeks had been torture, she always seemed to disappear when I wanted to talk to her. She was something right around the corner and then gone once you turn. Like wind she was there one second and then gone.

Once I was standing in front of her, she didn't look up. Her knees were pulled to her chest and she had her face tucked away. Her violin was sitting silently at her feet, the bow resting on top. I sat cross legged in front of her.

"I don't understand how you seem so weak, let you have to hold this thing up so much. You should be ripped." I said with a grin as I saw her jump at the sound of my voice.

She slowly looked up. She hadn't been crying, but her green eyes were very sad and shiny with tears. Her pale scarlet hair was a mess and flopped to the wrong side. "You're a big jerk, you know that?" She punched my arm.

"See, that's what I mean. I barely felt that," I teased and then looked back down at the violin. "I heard that you're in quite the jam with your accompanist."

Fawn scoffed, looking anywhere but my eyes. "Let me guess, Simon told you? I'm gonna-"

"Let me be your accompanist." I interrupted, carefully picking up the instrument at our feet.

"What?" She asked, sitting up straighter.

"I want to be your accompanist, I know the piece you're playing... I know we would play great together." I said, looking down at my hands, but peeked up at her.

Her cheeks were tinted pink and she thought for a couple moments. She said something too quiet for me to hear properly, but it sounded like 'I love you'.

"Pardon?" I asked, being sure I heard her right.

"I said okay." Maybe I was hearing things.

"Really? I mean... Alright! Let's get going!"

_______________

I'm sorry this chapter is slightly shorter, but the next one should be longer.

I know everyone has been having their guesses about who is who, and I find it entertaining. And I'll tell you now that they're pretty obvious.

Happy reading!
- Jlaicecream