Chapter Three • Kai

I've always been curious about what it would be like to fly. The wind, what a cloud feels like, to be able to touch the stars.

"Kai, snap out of it would you? Fawn is coming up next." Sylvia said from beside.

The auditorium had a steady murmur. People quietly chatting to each other about the performances. The last one was the choir, their performance was beautiful, but rather long.

"Sorry, I was just lost in thought." I whispered, trying my best to be polite as always.

I turned my attention back to the stage. Jack had just gone not too long ago. It was beautiful. I feel like I'm falling in love with him all over again. Gosh, why did I break it off with him? No, I know the answer. Fawn, that's what. I didn't hate the girl, I didn't think there was a hatful cell in my body, it's just how I was raised. But, I felt Jack was more in love with her than me, so I felt I had to give them a chance.

The noise of the crowd grew steadily louder with whispers and I looked to see why.

Fawn and Jack came onto the stage, looking rather stressed, yet happy. Jack sat down in front of the piano and Fawn took her place at centre stage, her violin in hand.

"What do you think this is about?" Sylvia asked, putting a hand on my arm, but pulled away with a wince when she touched my skin. "Whoa! Are you sick or something? Your skin is scorching hot!"

I tried to laugh it off nervously. "My temperature always runs rather high. It's nothing to concern yourself with." I explained, trying to drop the subject.

Sylvia still looked concerned, but decided the drop it for the meantime. What was happening on the stage was much more deserving of our attention.

I caught a glance between the two musicians and could almost read their minds. My question was, why weren't they together already? There was nothing standing in their way anymore... Or was there?

The notes began, very slow and beautiful, a tragic love story weaved into every note. They played beautifully together, almost as if it was destiny. That this moment was destined to happen from their date of birth.

The song picked up, becoming faster, but not necessarily upbeat. Fawn knew her music, much much better than I did. She knew the perfect song for the season. It was not a Christmas song. More... Winter. I could almost picture the snow falling from the rafters above.

I barely noticed the roar of the crowd when they finished. Things seemed muffled, moving in slow motion as Jack came up beside Fawn to take a bow.

Sylvia's watch beeped, signalling midnight. Today was Jack's birthday, and the official beginning of this dreaded winter.

I looked back at the stage, just in time to see Fawn fall to her knees and onto the ground, her violin bow just at her finger tips.

§ § §

After Fawn had fallen for unknown reasons, she was rushed away and after a small speech from the band instructor that she was going to be fine, the concert continued. But I couldn't help but feel suspicious of her condition.

During the short intermission, I managed to detach myself from Sylvia and go looking for Fawn and make sure she was alright.

I navigated through the hallways of the high school, trying my best not to get lost. In an area like this, purely made up of small towns, there was only one high school. So it had to be large enough to accommodate everyone.

I heard people speaking softly from a classroom to my right and went to investigate.

Room 421, it wasn't used as a regular classroom, so most students used it as a lounge of sorts. The school had even put a couple old couches in there.

I attempted to be sneaky by crawling across the tile floor of the moonlit hallway and peeking through the small window that looked into the classroom.

On one of the couches was Fawn with a cold cloth draped over her forehead. She appeared half conscious at the moment, stretched out and perfectly still and peaceful

Jack on the other had looked rather stressed. He was leaning against the couch while sitting on the ground. His one leg was propped up with his arm resting lazily against it. The corners of his mouth were drooping down in a frown. Jack not smiling was something of a rarity. But, while he was looking at Fawn so weak like that, he looked so desperate for her to wake up.