Chapter Four • Fawn

I awoke to soft whispers, reassuring sounds. A great difference from the dream I had just had. Although, it really didn't feel like a dream. The spiraling glass towers, four thrones with matching crowns, and Jack and I...

"Are you okay? Can you sit up?"

I hadn't realized my eyes were open until he had spoken. His face came into focus, his pale skin illuminated by the moonlight coming through the tall windows. "Jack? Where am I?" I questioned, looking around the room.

Upon further examination, I recognized it as room 421. When Courtney and I didn't want to do our compositions in the music room, we often wandered into here.

There was a dusty piano in the corner, with sheet music spread out on the top. The chalk board had a series of doodles drawn all over it. Although, there was the occasional masterpiece done by some art student.

"Room 421. You collapsed after our performance and I brought you here to rest." Jack explained. His hand was mere centimeters away from mine, and I felt the urge to pull away, but I didn't.

I took in a deep breath, finally looking into his cool blue eyes. "So, what now?" I questioned, sitting up slowly and pulling my knees to my chest.

"I don't know, that's up to you. This seems like a good enough place to rest until the concert is over." He came up to sit next to me on the couch, keeping a moderate distance between him and I.

"I guess," I took a deep breath through my nose, letting it escape through my lips. "This place is quite comfortable."

"That is true. I've spent quite a lot of time in here, especially with Kai." He said with a slight smile.

"Speaking of you and Kai, what happened between you to? You just broke up so suddenly." I asked, sitting up straighter to face him.

He looked as if he was suddenly nervous. "Um.... I just didn't like her like that anymore, I guess."

"So, you liked someone else then?" I knew he had left that part unsaid. I almost didn't want to know who it was. Just another person to be jealous of for no reason.

"Yeah." His eyes met mine for the first time in a couple minuets. Something seemed to shift in his eyes and I suddenly realized how close he was sitting to me, if I sat up straight, my lips would be touching his.

He dipped his head down closer to mine. "Fawn, I..."

"OOF!"

We jumped apart, bouncing to opposite sides of the couch. A few seconds ago, we were a breath away from kissing and I felt my cheeks flush.

I looked up to see no one other than Kai fallen over in the doorway.

"I was not spying on you, if that's what you think!" She exclaimed, putting up her hands.

I didn't know what to say, and it appeared Jack didn't know either. It was fairly obvious that she had been watching us, the question was, why? I didn't think Kai to be the type of person to eavesdrop.

"No, no. Of course not, you wouldn't be one to do that..." Jack said quietly, but I was sure he knew that she had been watching us. 

"I, uh... Yeah, I would never invade your privacy in such a way." Kai said, looking away from us, blood rushing to her face. "I guess I'll just go then..." 

She turned to leave, but someone suddenly burst through the door way. Kai jumped back with a yelp and almost stumbled to the ground. 

Simon stood in the frame, his eyes wild. "I finally found you guys!" He exclaimed, gripping the frame as he heaved over, catching is breath. 

"Is the concert over?" I squeaked out, still curled up on my couch cushion. 

"Yes, it ended a couple minutes ago, but no one can leave," He said as he stood up straight to face us. "We've been snowed in, no one's cars can get out of the parking lot. We have to spend the night here."

Jack and I's backs both straightened. We were stuck here for the night? I glanced out the window, but I really couldn't because the glass was coated in snow. An entire concert hall's worth of people were stuck in our high school for the night. What about the food? The cafeteria would be a mad house. 

I was snapped out of my stupor when the classroom's door was slammed shut, shaking the walls. Simon jiggled the doorknob desperately, trying to pry it open, but I was locked. The four of us were locked in room 421. 

Then, the room started to shake of it's own accord.