Chapter One: Up and Down

Blusie's P.O.V

Escape.

The one word that keeps me going.

What more was there to think about when the only place you've ever known is a lab. Sorry, I'm probably scaring you, but you need to know the truth.

I've spent most of my life in a cage surrounded by crazy scientists in white coats.

While most kids were riding bikes or playing with dolls, I've been in a cage. I'm not the only one, either.

Anyway, my name is Blusie or at least that's what I call myself.

Tonight, I'm getting out. We're getting out.

Oh, I almost forgot, I have wings. There white with light brown tips and the right wing has a tiny dark brown spot on it. I love my wings. Of course I've never actually flown, but I want to.
I've been planning our escape for months and today's the day to fulfill it.

Softly, I whisper "Pearl, Pearl, wake up!"

A dark figure in the cage beside mine sits up and turns toward me. From the light of the moon through the windows, I can see her face. Her long blonde hair in tangles and sapphire blue eyes staring back at me. I nod and close my eyes, pulling a small piece of metal toward me. The key. The actual key that unlocks the boundary between freedom and cages.

I smile as it floats into my waiting hand.

Quickly, I jab it into the lock and turn it. I hear a click as the lock falls. Reaching through the gaps in the cage I try to grab it, but miss. It hits the ground with a loud bang. I gasp as I push open my door.

I tiptoe over to Pearl's cage and unlock the door. She begins to climb out.

Then I hear footfalls. My eyes widen as someone burst through the doors.

Ari.

I scream and start running toward the window with Pearl behind me.

I yell "Now!" Then Pearl and I open up our wings.

Pearl's pale blue wings sparkle in the moon light, as she begins to fly towards the window. I try and kick off the ground but I can't seem to get in the air.

Then a whole bunch of other people bust through the doors. Wolfies and scientists.

Then I jump off the ground and actually stay in the air. I quickly try moving my white and brown wings to stay in the air, but I fall again.
Pearl calls out "move them up and down, Blusie."

I nod and leap into the air again. Moving my wings up and down, I slowly rise up to Pearl.
Then she gets the window open and we soar into the night.

I breath in the cold air as I try and land on the ground. But apparently, my body wants to land in a tree.

Then I land.... on my face from falling out of said tree.

I slowly sit up to see Pearl land gracefully on her feet.

Once I get to my feet, I look back at the school. Ari has already climbed out the window.

I stand still frozen in fear. I've never been outside before.

Then someone grabs my arm.

Pearl.

"Run" she whispers. Then I do as I'm told and take off.

Pearl is already in the air, zooming past trees.
But I stay on the ground, afraid to fly again.
Smaller trees cut into my arms.

My bare feet are pounding against the ground.
My blonde hair getting pulled by briars.
Up ahead I see a clearing.

But as I get closer I notice it isn't a clearing at all.

It's a cliff.

My heart skips a beat as I look around for Pearl. Shes on the other side of the abyss.

I hear Ari ripping through the trees behind me.

Then I jump.

The air rushes past me as I unflured my wings.

They work as a parachute ripping me up toward the sky.

I flap over to Pearl and try to land.

Thankfully, there are no nearby trees and I fall to my knees.

Pearl helps me up and I smile.

Then we start walking.

Around me I see grass. A beautiful green color.

Up ahead we see lights.

A town.

A/N- Thank you kaitlintopping  for making my cover!!!!!

~mack~