Chapter 5 -Chester

Chapter 5 -Awkward Encounters

Kiara's point of view

"Okay, so I called most of the family and we're having a party!" Carmen squealed like a teenager as she put the phone down on the table again. For the 12th time. 

"A party for what?" I asked, confused.

"For you and Alec!" She said, as if stating the obvious.

"What about me and Alec?" 

"You know, that he finally found his mate, and in 3 years when Jeff and I retire- He will be Alpha and you will be the Alpha Female." She explained as she started making chicken wings. 

I was silent for a moment before I asked, "What's a mate?" 

She chocked on the glass of fruit water she was drinking and looked at me in alarm. "You really don't know?" 

I shook my head. Carmen looked at me for a few minutes in silence, then told me all about mates. Werewolves can only ever love one person perfectly and with everything they have, and it can only be their mate. After your fully mated, you can talk in each other's heads in human form. Carmen even told me all about that, much to my embarrassment. Being bitten is only half the battle, then once you... get intimate with one another- it's done. Your mated for life. 

"Alec and I... We didn't... uh..." I tried telling her that Alec and I didn't fully mate but she smiled as I stumbled over the words.

"I know, Silly! I would be able to tell." She said, tossing some salad in a bowl. I noticed that she was rushing around, fixing up plates of chicken wings and pulling out plastic cups, bowls, plates, spoons and forks. 

I looked over at her in surprise. "Um, how?"

She stifled a laugh before answering. "Everyone would be able to tell." She paused as I stared at her in horror. "We would be able to smell it. See, if you did sleep together then your scent would be different. Yours would be mixed in with his, permanently."

I groaned in embarrassment and washed my hands in the sink to help her with the food. "I wanted to ask you something about... rogues?" 

"You should ask Jeff about that, not me. I'll bring you-"

"Mom, who's that?" A younger voice cut her off, making me look around the room for the owner. 

A little boy around the age of 6, was standing there, looking at me in suspicion. I looked back at him, a smile on my face. He seemed to realize that he was staring and widened his eyes before turning to look at his mother.

"Ah, Chester! I was wondering where you were." Carmen wiped her hands on a dish towel before she tossed it back on the counter. "This is Alec's mate, Kiara." 

I smacked my head as she told the child that. Why in the world would he need to know? 

"Oh, so, there's going to be more kids around here for me to play with soon?" He questioned, looking me over with curiosity in his eyes. 

"No!" I cried, heat rushing to my face.

"Chester! Don't bring those things up! That's awkward." Carmen stated, walking over to him. She turned to look at me. "Giana is going to finish making the rest of the food for the party that starts in 2 hours, but I have to go find her first. Chester will take you to Jeff's office."

I nodded and looked down at Chester. He looked me over once more before nodding. He grabbed my hand and started pulling me with him out the kitchen door.

"Are you going to break my brother's heart?" Chester asked me as he pulled me, very slowly, towards our destination.

"No. I'm not...we don't really? I don't... We..." I trailed off, unsure how to explain to the child that we don't know each other well enough for me to break his heart.