Twenty-One

Connor had checked on Cadence several times a day

Connor had checked on Cadence several times a day. He found it hard to sneak off when he was constantly hounded. First it was with preparation for battle, and then it was his mother hounding him about Cadence and where that was going. Connor wasn't sure when he had first laid eyes on her what to make of his sudden attraction, but now he knew without a doubt that he wanted her.

Connor walked knot thehospital and straight to Cadence room. She wasn't as pale as she had been when she was brought back three days ago, but she still hadn't woken up. Connor sat at the chair that was placed beside her bed, grabbed her hand and rubbed his thumb over her soft skin. "You need to wake up now Cadence. You have quite a few people worried. Joey hasn't stopped asking about you. He visits you now and then.." Connor babbled. He still wasn't sure what to say even after nights of staying awake to think.  "I feel foolish. After I was told of who you are and figured it out, I still can't believe I didn't recognize you. I know it's been years, but I now remember you. Always following me, talking to me. I said you annoyed me, but in truth you had become my best friend, my favorite company. I was never bored when you visited." Connor laughed thinking of the trouble they used to get into. "I also remember the day you left, we promised each other to stay friends and you-" Connor trailed off, his face heating slightly as he recalled her parting words.

"You told me with all the confidence in your small body that you and I would be mates. I didn't really believe you then, but now I do. I recognize you as my mate Cadence. You need to wake up." Connor nearly was pleading by the end of his talk. Even though he didn't know who she was in the beginning he knew without a doubt that she was his, she always had been.

*
*
Cadence woke slowly, her head ached like no other. Just opening her eyes hurt and tore a pain filled gasp from her. Cadence was aware she wasn't alone and was sure she wasn't when someone finally spoke.

"Cadence, can you hear me? My name is Dr. Lee. I was the doctor who helped you when you first came and again helped when you returned. How does your head feel? Are you in pain?"

Cadence opened her mouth, but it was so dry. Her voice came out cracked and rough, "water?" Cadence was still unable to open her eyes, but could hear the doctor moving around the room.

Dr. Lee grabbed Cadence's hand and made sure she had the water before letting go. He waited and watched as she finished the water. "Cadence can you remember anything?"

Cadence squinted her eyes, finally be able to place a face with the voice. "I remember everything..." Cadence was sure that to someone else that would be good news, but Cadence was filled with sadness. Her pack, her family- all lost because of her. She refused the Alpha and because of her actions it brought on the destruction of her pack.

"I will get you something for your head, you didn't say, but I can tell by how you hold it that it pains you." Dr. Lee stood and left the room.

Cadence placed the glass on the table and laid back, closing her eyes. Some of the memories were still fuzzy, the new ones she had created almost seemed like a dream. She wad there living them, but at the same time she wasn't.

Cadence heard footsteps, assuming it was the doctor. She frowned when the footsteps stopped and decided to take a peek. Regardless of the pain her eyes widened when she saw Connor standing there seeming just as struck as she was. Cadence relaxed after a moment, "Connor..." Cadence gasped in shock when she was suddenly surrounded by Connor's arms, her eyes reared up, but she blinked them away and buried her face in his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry... I should have know, I shouldn't have let you leave to begin with...." Connor whispered into Cadence's hair. When he had walked in and seen her sitting up, he couldn't help himself. He had worried there for a while that she may never wake up.

Cadence sighed, taking in Connor's scent when a familiar scent invaded her nose. She looked over Connor's shoulder and gasped. "Papa...?" This time the tears fell and the next she knew she was in the arms of her father.