Twelve

Cadence could hear a rain drop with the silence that seemed to possess the dining room

Cadence could hear a rain drop with the silence that seemed to possess the dining room. After the introductions and after Cadence answered as many questions as she could for Isabeth, everyone fell into silence. Cadence wasn't used to such silence. Even though she was alone in the forest, she still heard the forest come alive with nature. Now that Cadence thought about it, she couldn't think of a more peaceful setting. Cadence excused herself right after dinner, but wasn't surprised that Jake had accompanied her outside. She knew she wouldn't be allowed to move around without a guard so she just pretended that he wasn't even with her.

Once Cadence made it outside, she took a seat on the steps and closed her eyes. She listened to the crickets, owls and all the other animals and insects around them. Honestly, this was the most peaceful sound. She couldn't imagine what it would be like to be stuck inside a house without the sounds of nature. She didn't think she'd be able to sleep otherwise.

"Cadence?" Cadence heard Isabeth say quietly from behind her. Cadence turned and smiled lightly at the woman. She had to admit, even if she didn't trust packs, she could at least say with certainty that this woman was sweet, and gentle. She had seen the way Isabeth had fawned over both Joey and Connor. She was a true mother, and Cadence couldn't imagine what horror Isabeth had gone through while Joey was missing.

"Is there something wrong?" Cadence asked, standing from her spot. She had noticed that Jake was now gone, and frowned as she learned that. Where had he gone?

Isabeth shook her head, "no, no. I just wanted to see you again, to tell you that no matter how many time's I say it will never be enough. I can't thank you enough for helping and protecting my Joey. And, I also wanted to apologize for what Connor said. He was out of line for saying such a thing, especially about someone who saved one of our own."

Cadence couldn't stand by and watch as Isabeth apologized. "Isabeth, please there's no reason to apologize for him." Cadence sighed, for the first time about to open up to someone. "No matter if his comments were hurtful or not, he's the Alpha. He has a responsibility to keep his pack safe. For all he knows, for all any of you know, I simply saved Joey so that I could infiltrate your pack. I assure you that wasn't at all in my plan or idea's, but you don't know that. He only stated facts that was proven time and time again by rogues."

After Cadence finished, they both stood there not saying anything. Cadence didn't know what was going through Isabeth's mind, and was totally unprepared when Isabeth suddenly flung herself at Cadence and wrapped her arms around her in a hug. Cadence slowly and unsurely raised her hands and patted at the woman's back, then heard the sound of Isabeth sniffling. "You are just so- I don't even know. I've never met a rogue like you, and while I know that you're right, that rogues have gotten a bad name because of those who acted out, but I also know that there are good among the rogues. But, we don't give them a chance." Isabeth seemed to become more emotional by the second and Cadence was beginning to panic. She had no idea what to do, or how to calm the emotional woman. "It make's me wonder, have we hurt a rogue or worse killed a rogue that was innocent??"

Cadence sighed in  relief when she seen the front door open and reveal the Alpha. She stared at him with what she hoped was pleading eyes.

Connor opened the front door, hoping to find where his mother had run off too, but what he saw wasn't what he was expecting. His mother was blubbering into Cadence's shoulder, and Cadence looked a bit panicked as she awkwardly patted his mother's back. Connor moved forward and pried his mother's grip from Cadence. "Mother, I think you had a bit too much wine at dinner. Perhaps, it would be wise if you went to bed now."

Connor wasn't surprised when his mother glared at him, he'd caught the end of the conversation and knew she probably wouldn't be so fond of him at the moment. "You best apologize to this poor girl! She risked her life to bring our Joey back and all you can do is talk rudely about her! It's not right son neither your father or I raised you this way!" Connor raised his brow, but otherwise didn't say anything else. No matter what he said, his mother would simply turn on him.

"Jake, will you escort my mother to her room." Connor called out, and not even a second later Jake was leading his mother away, his mother arguing the whole time. Connor shook his head when they disappeared inside the house. Connor turned back to Cadence and raised his brow's at her expression. She looked at him as if he was going to attack her at any moment, and seemed to be debating which she should do, fight or flight. "I apologize for my mother, she had just a bit too much to drink."

Cadence swallowed the lump that formed in her throat as she now realized too late that she was now alone with the Alpha. She didn't want to be, but at the moment she couldn't very well run away, could she? "I don't mind your mother one bit. I just don't know how to handle- eh emotional people..." Possibly from the lack of people, Cadence added dryly. "Will she be alright?"

Connor nodded, "of course. She was just overly happy to finally meet you." Connor frowned then sighed, "I also agree. I do owe you an apology."

Before he could continue Cadence quickly cut him off, "no you don't. Listen, while I appreciate all that you've done. I do know that you have to do what you have to, to keep you pack and family safe. Having a rogue within your territory, free of all things must be very unnerving. I don't know what I would do if I were in your position, and while I could simply assure you that I really don't mean any harm, I also understand that by my word alone it's not enough." Cadence took a deep breath. "That's why you should just let me leave, I don't belong here and while I'm here neither you or I are going to feel comfortable."

The Alpha was quiet for so long, his face never giving away anything that he was thinking. It made Cadence nervous and she hated it. She hated feeling trapped and even though she was in neither a cage or shackles she felt as if she were. "I understand what your saying, but your forgetting one thing." Cadence frowned, not having any idea what he was talking about, then squeaked when he was suddenly nose to nose with her. "I made a promise, that I don't plan on breaking."

Connor knew he shouldn't have gotten so close to her, he didn't even know what was possessing him to keep the promise. Technically, he had fulfilled his promise. He'd protected her and made sure that she lived. She was both protected and alive. He no longer had to keep her here, but for some reason he wanted her there. At least for a few more days, until he could figure out what these feelings were. As he moved closer and spoke, he knew his voice came out huskier, he could feel the change in himself as he took in her clean scent, but he still didn't know for sure if it was simply an attraction or more. He wanted to know, he had too.

Cadence swallowed, her mouth suddenly unable to work. Her brain had more or less fled from her head. "W-what?" She gasped, her breath coming more in pants.

Connor was immensely pleased to see that he affected her. He wondered was it due to her obvious nervousness, or could it be that bother her nerves and her reaction was due to her feeling the same attraction he felt towards her. "I am your guardian. I will protect you, provide for you and make sure that you will never have to want again. That was my promise, and that is the promise I plan to keep Cadence."

Cadence was about to explode, it was warm. Why was it so warm? She could feel the air hitting her and knew that it was technically freezing outside so why was she warm? "I-I..." She snapped her mouth shut the moment she began to stammer, her eyes widening as he drew away. She could finally breath a little better, and then she realized that that was the first time he'd said her name.

Managed to finally get the chapter done!!! I hope you guys enjoy it.

A/N next chapter would appreciate you guys reading it!!

Thanks.