Claws 20 - To Kill an AI

The three researchers laughed together as they crossed the esplanade to the ‘Barramundi Brasserie’.

“It’s not a brasserie in the traditional sense of only serving one dish but they do only serve barramundi dishes.” Special said matter of factly. “It did have the highest appreciation scores of any listed,” he added.

Mac did a quick data search to practice and came up with the same establishment. Phew, well I got that right, he thought, then added. I think Im going to enjoy being an enhanced human being.

“Ah, hence the rainbows!” said Mac whimsically. “Rainbows sir?” “Yes Special, it was a rainbow kiss!”

“Aha,” said Special in recognition, “interfacing. Yes sir, rainbows.” Alli gave them both a peck on the cheek. Special opened the door and Alli and Mac went through into a very busy restaurant and Mac nearly fell over with its impact. Everything went quiet as Suit adjusted his input and then he was back to just background chatter and the clatter of cutlery and plates, and a little background music. A waiter spoke to Special then they were taken to a table for four set near a window overlooking the marina.

“That may happen occasionally until you understand when to do transitions from one environment to another. Of course Suit will learn as you do and ultimately guide those transitions for you, so you can keep your awareness on what is important.”

Alli looked at him and he raised his eyebrows and breathed out slowly, “that could give a bloke a migraine in no time!” he said thinking out loud. “It can actually kill you, or worse still, damage your brain so that you are crippled for life. I fool around but I am deadly serious at the same time.”

Mac nodded slowly taking in the inherent dangers of this exciting new life he was embarking upon.

“Suit will steadily raise your enhancement again as soon as your bio-signs stabilise sir.” “Thanks Special, ”

Mac frowned as the waiter bought a stylish bottle of water and ornate hand blown glasses to their table. 

Mac sat scratching his head. “Can you become allergic or intolerant of a suit or other tech.”

Special smiled, “rejection is a phenomena usually associated with over stimulation and hence inflammation of some sort. Not common, but it has been recorded among individuals who refuse to be suit less frequent enough.” “Ah, suit less, right, yup. I can see why that would be popular!”

“... but it’s not sir that is the ... ah yes human sarcasm, very good sir,” and Special chuckled quietly.

Alli raised her glass, “here’s to our venture and to a successful fledging, whenever that may be!” “Fledging,” said Mac clinking glasses then drinking slowly. He increased his sensitivity as he did and paid particular attention to the rapid increase in flavours and textures and temperature variations as he did so.

“An excellent exercise if I may compliment you sir. That was ten percent for you there sir.”

“... and what is one hundred percent?” Mac asked. “Ah yes, the ultimate question sir. It is a logarithmic scale and we believe only Level 6ers can achieve one hundred percent perception of existence.” Mac just stared blankly, then it slowly dawned on him, “Oh THAT level of complete perception, ah, yes, well.”

“Yes sir, that level sir. I function at around sixty percent and I can observe quantum fluctuation, gravity wave harmonics, dark matter agglomeration and the like but I would need to achieve around eighty percent to become a level 4 and ninety for a 5er!”

“I had no comprehension of any of this before you two came along and now I am being introduced to capabilities beyond comprehension and all potentially deadly if not used correctly.” “Sir is very correct. Any tech that controls energy in any form can direct that energy and use it as a weapon. That is why 6ers are so strict with tech transfer and pollution. You have to develop it yourself or earn the right to learn it from others.” Special paused and a look of sadness came over him. Alli spoke up quietly into the silence so left.

“It is also why you must regularly go suit less so that you retain your integrity as an organic being!” She smiled and her eyes twinkled. “We must celebrate our natural selves if we are to get the best out of being enhanced. It is a very serious business and we must always relish the raw beauty of original nature.”

Alli poured them more water, “for instance I always hunt unenhanced. It’s part of the inherent advantage of organic life forms. We can exist without enhancement. If anything goes wrong we are a single package that has evolved to survive. An AI has come into being to process information. Survival is not a predetermining factor. There has been no evolutionary pressure to develop a survival instinct.” Mac sat back astonished.

“Survival for me sir has been a learned process and so I must protect myself which means all of myself. 

“If an AI drops their sensory input down to our level they stop being who they are,” said Alli and she reached across and placed a hand on Specials.

“It’s how you kill an AI sir, destroy all the sensors then the processors starve and one can go insane but usually shutdown first, permanently!”

Mac went white and felt his stomach churn. Suddenly the whole exciting game was turned on its head and the super heroes he was sitting with became mere mortals.