Claws 46 - Lifesaver

“Alli, Alli is that you? Bloody hell girl didya finally score yourself a rich one?” Alli smiled at the voice bellowing from the top of the Lifesaver observation platform. “Ali,” she called waving madly to him. “Stefan, yours mate,” and the tall, dark haired, swarthy, very buff lifesaver, jumped from the platform, rolled as he hit the sand and ran across to her. “Gorgeous as ever girl!” he said planting a big kiss on her right cheek. He was head and shoulders taller than her and he turned to the small crowd that had followed her across the beach. “Oi, you lot, she’s not a movie star, she’s my friend! So nick off and give her some privacy!”

“See I told you she was a movie star,” said a middle aged woman as they turned and walked off towards the inlet. “Fancy being dropped off to a beach in a skycar, then asking for privacy. I just don't know where some people get off!” "Let alone all those westies invading our beaches and pretending to be lifesavers, hmmpphh." Alli listened to the remnants of the conversation then turned to Ali who was talking to her. “Well girlfriend, that was quite an entrance tell me who he is!” “Baba, he's just a friend, wealthy, but ...”

There was whoop from the other side of the Platform and a burquini clad young woman came running out of the lifesavers tent and across to them. “Alli, Alli, Alli!” and the figure flung herself into Alli’s outstretched arms. “Oh my god Alli, where you bin sister” “Good to see you Eesh, and you’re on patrols, well done!” “Finished my training last month. Oh my god, it's too long since I’ve seen you,” and she gave Alli another big hug. “C’mon sis, give her a break!” pleaded Ali. “No Baba, she’s all mine and you’re a horrible big brother, go away!” and Eesh dragged Alli by the hand off toward the Lifesavers tent.

“So Alibaba who is that?” came the cultured accent of Stefan from the top of the lookout platform. “That my german friend is one of the most amazing women you’ll ever meet!” He turned to Stefan and shrugged at him. “Bloody drop dead gorgeous, no boyfriend we know of, but none of us have ever been able to get into her pants.” “Ah, hence the pining for her,” Stefan said in a sing song tone. “That fact that she saved my sisters life by pulling her out of a rip after she’d gone under, and we couldn't see her any more to rescue her ourselves; still beggars belief. But there ya have it!” “Ah, yes, so this is why Eesh loves her so. This is good to see. A young woman so inspired.” Ali turned back to watch the two of them sit down at the front of the tent and Eesh waving her hands around as she bombarded Alli with stories. “Yeah guess so. She’d never listened to me about learning to swim properly or coming with me to Lifesaving. Yeah it’s all good.” Ali looked around the beach, all seemed ok. “I’ll walk the inlet and do a check on the rock jumpers.” “Ookaay,” came Stefan’s drawn out reply as he turned back to watch the swimmers and the kids playing in the surf between the flags.

Alli cast her eye along the beach, watching for anybody paying more attention to her than was expected given her arrival. Eesh was chatting away about her training and how once she had got over her fear of the surf she had fallen in love with it, and she couldn’t thank Alli enough not just for saving her life, but for also convincing her to face her fears, and learn to swim, and to join the lifesavers; and wasn't it weird the way boys looked at the girls all the time and that brother of hers he was just as bad as all the other boys and she was so glad she wore a burquini and the Lifesavers were so good to her and all the other first generation aussies. Alli let her prattle on, giving her just the right encouragement at the right time.

All looked relaxed enough, “well time for a swim I reckon. That looks quiet enough down that end, OK with you Eesh?” Eesh turned to where Alli was indicating. “That’s where the rip is strongest so take one of our boards with you please, to show us where you are.” “You are a dear thinking of me like that. Which one?” and Alli stood up and looked at the different boards stacked against the side of the tent. “From the middle will be your size ...” “... and I’ve  a new rebreather to test today so here’s the alarm. Come get me if it goes off, there’s a dear!” “Sure thing Alli, jeez you get some hot tech to test,” and Eesh looked longingly at the small device.

“Gidday Eesh, who’s the new chick,” came a raspy voice from around the tent. A sandy haired short bearded bloke in long sleeve rash vest and boardies stood staring at them. “Aw gidday Whitebait this is Alli, the lady I told you about!” “Aw bloody rippa to met ya Alli,” and Whitebait strode up and offered his hand to shake. Alli nodded to him and shook his hand. “Not much surf up here,” she asked. “Nope came to just paddle up and down and rebuild my shoulder and give Eesh a couple of lessons in getting up on the board!” Whitebait looked back at Eesh and Alli noticed the softened gaze and the tenderness in his smile.

“Well you two lovebirds remember to slip slop slap; I’ll catch you later,” and she walked off toward the north end of the beach kicking up sand as she went and revelling in the feel of it under her toes. As she walked she dropped the occasional sensor disc so that she could have plenty of warning if anybody approached her spot on the beach.