Chapter 2: Proposal Confusion

Cal's POV

I thought she would say yes. Of course I planned about the family thing, but I wasn't planned on the runaway thing! I thought that after all we've been through together, camp and all, and how could I forget, that night we danced together. I thought, that after ALL of that, she would have said yes. But no. Not what I expected. Is it because of Maven? Did i do something wrong? Did I do it too soon? I don't know! I'm afraid to go to Julian because Mare might be there. She was almost always there with him when she came to the palace.

I went to my small shower and stood in the cold water. I didn't care about my clothes at the moment. I just wanted Mare. I didn't care. We always looked out for each other and whenever she was with me, I felt like I could actually be me. Not some fake the whole kingdom sees.

I turned off the shower. I drowned all my thoughts down the drain and changed into some dry clothes.

I trudged off to meet Farley.

"What do you want?" asked Farley. Her eyes were red and puffy. She was crying for Shade.

I gave her a hug and she clutched me and started crying.

They were really a thing.

"I'm sorry." I said. She'd been through a lot. From the Scarlet Guard, her father and Shade's death. It had all taken a toll on her.

"I proposed to Mare." I sighed.

She stiffened in my hands. "So?"

"She said she needed time... she didn't exactly say no..."

"Puh!" she snorted. "When girls say that it means no, genius."

"She ran away."

"Duh. That's what they all do. Let me guess. You got sad, stood under a cold shower and came here?"

"You read minds." I muttered.

"Typical." she said.

"I'll leave you be." I said. I walked out the door. Farley started crying again. I know, if I go in again, It'll be like Deja Vu all over again! I took a long walk around the corridors, searching for something to distract me.

Mare's POV

"HE PROPOSED?" Asked mom.

"Yeah... but I don't know what to do." I replied staring at the ground.

"Honey, we could live like never before! Can't you imagine, FOOD! New clothes! And honey, you can't deny that you've been going to him a lot lately, Farley told me everything," said mom, she apparently didn't get what I was trying to say. As usual.

Apparently, she was useless too now. The only other person I could think of was Julian.

I headed for his barrack and knocked on the door.

"Julian, we need to talk, it's about Cal." I said pleading.

"Yes?" He replied, shoving me in.

"Cal... well... he proposed..." I stuttered

"Mare, I hope you know what this means." Said Julian worriedly.

"I know, it's gonna be impossible to manage the kingdom with him and stay there with all those stupid "duties." " I replied, air quoting.

"No, it's not that. Look, you can't tell Cal this okay?" Said Julian whispering

"Okay, but it better not be related to Maven coming back from the dead or anything." I said sarcastic

"Ha ha. No. Listen, when Cal was born, he was born with a curse, put there by Elara, the king and queen did not know, I was the only one who did, and that's why Elara's been trying to kill me. Cal's curse mentions that he WILL find true love and get married, but when he does, he and his wife, both, shall die on their 1 year anniversary, it was a curse that was passed down Elara's family, but apparently it skipped Elara and Maven, she must have manipulated the gene, because it got passed on to Cal, I know this is a lot to take in, but you mustn't let Cal know." Replied Julian.

There was a moment of silence for both of us to take in what was just said.

"Is there anything we could do? Is there anything I could do? I mean, I love him and all, but there his curse, I'd rather leave him heartbroken than dead!" I cried.

"There is a way, apparently I have a friend, he was born premature, Silver, he developed the powers of a WarLock, so he could probably conjure up a spell or something, he lives in Quota, 5 hour airplane ride from here." Replied Julian.

"Do we need anything Special to take with us?" I replied, I was ready for anything.

"Cal and the blood of Elara." Said Julian

"Blood of Elara?" I replied, confused

"Well, Elara DID pass the gene, so the cure is in her blood, I'm heading down to the morgue to collect some, Maven apparently found his mom's body and buried it, come with?" Asked Julian.

I always wondered how he was always so casual about the worst stuff.

"Yeah sure."

A/N

Hello readers! Notice I use POV. That stands for 'Point Of View' so I'm gonna stop putting those and just write the character. For example, when i'm gonna start a different point of view, I'll just mention the character's name like:

Marlene

I stared into his eyes

~

Get the picture? If you still don't get me, you can comment down below :)

Don't forget to vote! Spam me with comments! ;)