Chapter 9- Look to the East

Start from the beginning

My heart broke to all those who ran to the Keep, only to be shot down by the enemy archers. The Uruks had taken the city. Where my kin was, I did not know. I could only pray that some had lasted through the night. We reached the Keep in a few seconds, charging through the doorway with at least one-hundred others before the doors closed.

My heart shattered for those who cried for help, banging against the door only to meet their ends at Orc-forged blades. Men ran forward to brace the doors, trying to protect our last defense.

The rest of us stood still, trying desperately to catch our breaths. I was losing blood quickly, but I couldn't let the others see. I would not appear weak while others were being murdered outside the Hornburg's walls. "Where is Haldir?" I whispered to Aragorn. "Is he safe?"

"Haldir fell after the Breeching Wall was destroyed," he replied softly.

My heart dropped to my stomach. "Dead?" I choked out. "He can't be."

Legolas looked as stunned as I did. "May Ùlmo welcome him into Valinor with open arms..."

What would Lothlórien do without their Marchwarden? What was I going to tell Brendawyn? What the Elleth do without her brother?

"The Fortress is taken," Théoden said blasé. "It is over."

"You said this fortress would never fall!" I snarled.  "While your men defended it."

"They still defend it!" my brother interjected. "They have died defending it!"

The King was silent, refusing to speak.

"Is there no other way for the women and children to get out of the caves?" my brother asked Théoden urgently.

Silence.

Legolas and I flipped the tables in the hall over, hurrying to bring the heavy furniture to barricade the door. Gimli tossed several chairs into the pile, muttering something about ale and Dwarven women.

"Is there no other way?" Aragorn snapped.

The King was silent, and I was ready to run him through. It was his entire fault that Haldir had perished. This was all his doing. "Are you just going to be silent?" I demanded. "Your people- my people- have died tonight! You negligent King! Harken to me!"

"There is one passage," Gamling concluded. "It leads into the mountains. But they will not make it! The Urk-Hai are too many."

"Tell the women and children to make for the  mountain pass!' Aragorn ordered. "And barricade the entrance!"

"So much death," Théoden whispered, drawing all of our attention. "What can men do against such reckless hate?"

"We can start by throwing them what they really want," I grumbled under my breath. "You."

Aragorn was silent, heaving softly as Gamling ran off to deliver the message to the women and children. "Ride out with me," he finally decided.

"What?" I gasped.

"We can ride out and meet them."

Théoden gripped his sword. "For Death and Glory."

"For Rohan," my brother stated. "For your people"

Gimli gripped his ax so tightly that his face seemingly matched his beard. "The Sun is rising," he declared.

"Mithrandir..." I whispered. "He said 'Look to my coming at the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."

 "Yes," Théoden decided. "Yes. The Horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the Deep. One last time."

"Yes," Gimli roared.