Chapter 9- Look to the East

Depuis le début

"Argh!" Gimli's unmistakable voice growled. I watched as the Dwarf made an impossible jump over the drop-off and onto the bridge to face the Uruks. It was obvious that he had taken them by surprise. They were uncoordinated and startled- this is probably what saved his life.

A moment later, Aragorn leaped over the causeway and alongside my firey-bearded friend. The pair took on the Uruk-Hai and Legolas and I joined in. Between the two archers, Dwarf and my brother, we made great progress against our enemies.

"Shore up the door!"  Théoden ordered.

"Make way!"

"Follow me to the barricade!"

"Keep firing, Rayel!" Legolas ordered. "Look!"

My heart leaped to my throat: across the battlefield were giant, iron catapult-like crossbows. The Uruks fired and the large hooks shot out, grabbing hold of the walls and enabling more loaded ladders to slowly ascend the wires. The ladders settled upon the ramparts that we were standing upon and immediately, the Uruks swarmed the walls.

Men were charging up the stairwell to help, but there were far too many Hybrids for us to handle. "Rayel!" Legolas shouted. "Aim for the cables! Bring down the ladders!"

I nodded, shifting my aim to the willowy ropes that lifted the ladders through the air and onto the walls. Legolas fired first, his arrow slicing through the wire and toppling the hierarchy backward and into the mass below. I fired my arrow and surprisingly had the same result as he did.

But it was all in vain, my attention was shifted down to my brother and Gimli, who were fighting for the lives: two against thousands. "They'll never make it!" I cried in anguish.

"They will," Legolas assured me.

"Aragorn! Gimli!"  Théoden's voice barked. "Get out of there!"

My brother and Gimli were distracted by the King's order, and the Uruks advanced. They took hold of both my friends and threatened to push them over the causeway and into the horde.

"No!"  I cried. "We need to help!"

Legolas was already ahead of me though: in his hands, he carried a coil of rope. "Shoot down their attacker!" he ordered.

I did as I was told, and managed to shoot an arrow directly into the Uruk's spine.

"Aragorn!" Legolas shouted, tossing down the rope.

Aragorn caught hold of it, grabbing onto Gimli and swinging out over the causeway: just barely missing a blow. Legolas strained under their weight, hauling them up the towering walls. I immediately grasped hold of the rope, helping the Prince pull my brother to safety. We heaved and hauled: our muscles straining and our backs breaking under their weight.

As Aragorn and Gimli reached the top, they quickly jumped the wall and stopped to catch their breath. "Thank you," Aragorn breathed.

"Both of you need to refrain from ale and salted pork for a while," I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

It didn't help the fact that we were all dodging arrows and blows. An arrow whizzed by my head, just missing me by centimeters. "Give us a moment for pity's sake!" I bellowed out, shooting down the Uruk archer.

"Fall back!" Gamling shouted. "Fall back!"

I heard the creaking and groaning of the Gate before it finally gave way, and the Uruks swarmed into the city. "Hurry, sister!" Aragorn urged, taking hold of my arm. "We must hurry!"

"The castle is breached! Retreat!" voices rang out. "Retreat!"

The four of us sprinted across the wall and toward the Keep and Hall. "Hurry!"  Aragorn barked to the men we ran past. "Inside! Get them inside!"