Chapter 38, The Human Colony

Start from the beginning

‘I believe you sweetheart, don’t cry; I’m sure you’ll see it again tomorrow’.

The woman’s words were nothing but empty promises; I didn’t understand how she could lie so openly to her child, his misery caused by her scepticism.

Choosing now as the time to continue my journey, I ran past the Mother and Child, keeping my distance from them as I crossed over their path.  Following the trail the humans had created back to the campsite, I soon saw a small tent ahead of me, clothing hanging from a steel line in the trees close by.

Looking around, all the people seemed crowded around the dam, their fishing lines sitting on the water’s surface waiting for some poor fish to snag itself.

Grabbing a shirt and pair of women’s jeans, I quickly raced back further away from the camp, dropping the clothes near a large tree in case I needed to hide.

Shifting back to my human, it felt good to be myself again after being my wolf so long but my wolf never complained, she always preferred to have control.

Throwing the shirt over my head, I ended up tying it at the waist, considering how big it was, I must have picked one of the guy’s shirts.  Slipping on the jeans, they fit better, well enough to maybe pass as my own but now came the hard part, slipping into town looking like a human.

No longer worried overly much about the humans, I walked back further up the track and then darted over to the dam, flicking water on my face in an attempt to remove the dried blood from when I had devoured that deer.

Trying to look at my reflection, I looked a little better but I was out of luck as I turned, hearing a voice not too far behind me.

‘Excuse me, who are you and what are you doing at our camping site’?

Spinning around, I looked between the Mother and her son, not even realising they would be back already. 

Lost for words, I was stuttering but I figured I should just play the lost hiker trick it always worked; maybe they’d give me a lift back to town.

‘Ah….I….I got lost hiking, some wolves attacked me and my friends, I was separated from them…….and so here I am’.

The woman looked at me strangely, not sure whether to believe me but there really wasn’t anything to go off considering I looked like I’d been wandering for days.

‘Are you alone’?

The woman seemed to be holding her child behind her in an attempt to defend him, I really didn’t see why she thought I was a threat though; she must have been able to feel the Luna authority coming from me.

‘I am alone yes, I would have thought looking at me would give that away’.

I don’t think the woman liked my smart attitude as she walked closer but she seemed to want to help, she looked concerned for me.

‘My name’s Lacy, this is my son James; please come back with us, I’ll take you into town if that will help’.

Well she was going to give me exactly what I wanted which sounded good; walking up to the woman to shake hands, that was what humans did right.

‘I’m Vera that would be great; I need to get back to my family’.

The woman slowly taking my hand and shaking, James looked up at me, his smile gone from when he saw me as a wolf.

I most as well should start something with this people after all; I did just start something with their son.

‘So you guys camp a lot’?