Aurelius Part 2: Once Upon A Dream

2641 words. Enjoy.

Part two: Once Upon A Dream

"Aurey?" Flora called up the stairs. "Aurey, dear. It's time to go."

There was no respond, which was odd because Aurelius never not responded to anything, even when he was upset. Flora walked up and knocked on the wooden door, waiting for a response that never came. She opened the door slowly, and when she saw that the room was empty she panicked.

"Girls!" She called, rushing down the stairs to see her sisters Flauna and Merryweather. "Aurelius. He's missing!"

"Oh dear oh dear!" Merryweather said. "This isn't good! This isn't good indeed! It's starting to get dark! We need to take him to the castle!"

"You don't think I know that Merryweather?" Flora said, thinking. Flauna stepped up, worry in her eyes.

"Do you think he went to find the boy?" She asked, thinking about how horrible that'll be.

"Grab your wands," Flora said, grabbing the box that she's kept them in all these years.

"But Flora," Merryweather said, leaning forward to get her wand. "Wouldn't that show Maleficent where we are?"

"We need to find Aurelius. We cannot let him be out here all alone at this time of evening looking for some stranger," Flora said, putting the box down. "I'll do whatever it takes."

••••••

Aurelius was humming the song he sung earlier, hoping it would attract the beautiful man from before. He needed to find him, run away. Never look back on the things he has been told. He was not a prince.

He was where they first met, hoping the stranger would pass this area on his way to the cottage. It was getting dark, and Aurelius still hasn't seen any sight of the boy. He kept humming, a little louder than before. Before he knew it, he started to sing.

I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream. I know you, that look in your eyes is so familiar a gleam 

"How wonderful," an unfamiliar voice said, startling Aurelius. He turned around to see a dark figure in the shadows, there was just enough sunlight to shape out its outline, but not enough to allow Aurelius to see who it was.

"Hello? Who's there?" Aurelius asked, trying his hardest to see who it was. "Don't be afraid."

"I'm not afraid," the powerful sounding voice said. Aurelius stepped forward, and the figure stepped back.

"Then come out where I can see you," he said, trying to sound like he wasn't scared, but something inside him told him he shouldn't be here.

"Then you'll be afraid," the woman said, Aurelius could hear a smirk in her voice, which made him a little uneasy. "Nice voice you got there."

"Thank you," Aurelius said, clearing his thought. "I won't be afraid, you can come out."

The figure shifted, and then walked out into the small amount of light left from the sun. Aurelius was shocked at what his eyes were beholding. This thing, or woman, had two high, pointy horns. He remembered one of his aunties warning him about a beast with horn when he was younger, but she didn't look like a beast at all.

"What's your name?" Aurelius asked, trying to ignore the feeling of running away. He didn't want to be rude.

"Maleficent. What's yours?" Maleficent asked, giving Aurelius a friendly smile.

"Briar..." Aurelius said, giving her the name that her aunties gave him in case he ever encountered strangers.

"Ahh, such a wonderful name. It fits you, indeed. So Briar, what brings you out to the woods at this time of evening?" Maleficent asked, slowly starting to rotate around Aurelius. Aurelius noticed that on her shoulder there was a raven, the same one that he saw in the cottage window earlier that day.