✦ ✧ t w e l v e

Start from the beginning

the lady wearing a red polo shirt at the desk doesn't look up from her magazine and tobio far from minds, making his way further into the gas station looking for a familiar mop of orange hair.

and then he sees it, and wishes he hadn't.

shouyo has a basket full of shitty gas station candy, two liters of mountain dew, one case of beer and is struggling to carry a package of beef jerky under his chin.

tobio rushed forward, first to grab the case of beer threatening to fall and explode into tiny shards of brown glass.

"what the hell – i leave you for maybe five minutes and this is what you've done?" he stared into shouyo's innocent doe eyes and looked him over, candy and mountain dew and all.

"first of all," he continued, and hoisted up the case of beer. "we're both underage. where did you even get it?" he hissed.

shouyo looked alarmed and drew a finger to his lips almost dropping a liter of mountain dew. "sh, kageyama! i have a fake i.d," he said quietly with a wink and a smirk.

tobio swore he almost shit himself.

"where the hell did you get one of those?!" he asked incredulously.

shouyo simply replied with a wink, and when tobio's jaw dropped he laughed.

"tanaka-san knows a guy!" he said.

tobio was unamused and rolled his eyes. he wasn't really sure if he wanted to know the whole story, how tanaka possibly came to have contacts with someone who can make fake i.ds. and of course, how did shouyo get convinced into it.

"i guess we can get all of this," tobio decided, sighing. he gestured to the basket full of candy, the two liters of mountain dew and the case of beer. "but you're paying for it all."

shouyo giggled. "no worries, kageyama-kun! of course i'll pay for it."

"it still sucks that we couldn't get the beer," shouyo said with a pout, sinking further into his seat.

"yeah, i think that lady heard me say that we were underage," tobio said.

shouyo glared at tobio playfully and poked him in the ribs. "you just ruin everything, don't you?" he said with a laugh. despite the bitterness in the words spoken, there was no sting to them.

after earning a small smile from tobio, shouyo leaned up and turned the radio all the way up, the shitty song playing getting even louder, then rolled down all of the windows and even the sunroof.

by now the sky was dark, stars dotting the sky and cool air coming in short puffs blew their hair around.

and then tobio laughed.

the whole situation was funny really — here they were on some highway in nevada listening to some horrible song turned all the way up with the windows down, not a care in the world for either boy and eating bad gas station candy.

shouyo looked to his side, and observed his companion. a small smile ghosted his lips, his eyes fixated on the road ahead of them.

"hey kageyama, find a parking garage somewhere," shouyo shouted over the music.

"huh? why?" tobio shouted back.

"just do it," shouyo replied. "and go to the very top level so we can see for miles."

tobio cringed. was shouyo really into cliche scenes at the top of parking garages? he did as he was told, however.

"as requested," tobio said, parking at the very top level of some parking garage with a view worth millions.

"thank you," shouyo said, and tobio thought that might have been the one time he said thank you the entire trip.

"ah, you're welcome?"

shouyo sighed, then turned to look at tobio with tears in his eyes. tobio stayed silent about the tears and waited for him to say something.

"kageyama, i think i'm in love with you. and i know that we've kissed like twice but i really think i'm in love with you and so i think this would be a very appropriate time for you to kiss me before i cry," shouyo said, his voice wobbling a little bit.

tobio's stomach filled with butterflies, adrenaline similar to that he gets at volleyball matches coursing through his veins. he's waited for this, he's waited and it's finally happened.

"why are you crying?" he asked softly, running his thumb across shouyo's soft cheek where a tear has dared to fall.

"'cause i'm scared," he mumbled, looking down.

"and why are you scared?" tobio asked, gracing a finger below his chin and tilting his head back upward.

"i've never loved a guy! and even though i think you love me back, at least that's what you said... it's scary, tobio," he said through tears, even going as far as calling him by his first name.

"sh, there's no reason to be scared of loving a guy. i'm your best friend right?"

shouyo nodded.

"it's just like being best friends, except.. not. can you give me a chance to show you?"

shouyo nodded slowly, taking in a rather shaky breath and smiling briefly before dissolving into tears again.

"please show me."

and he kissed him.

o shit lmao this chapter is super long! i apologize for how cheesy and cliche it is but we all need fluff and angst.

i apologize also for the unannounced hiatus, i've just been super busy lately.

this relationship is finally moving along, and i'm sure that my writing of these two idiots will get better. they're both really ooc in this chapter.

thank you for reading!