Chapter 11

#WIAE Chapter 11

My breathing stopped. My vision swirled. My system couldn't stomach the sight in front of me. Umaagos iyong dugo mula sa gitna ng noo nila. The eyes still wide open. Siguro dahil hindi nila akalain na gagawin ni Night... Kasi ganoon din ako. I didn't believe. I didn't believe that he was capable of murder but this happened.

They're dead.

Iyong kanina lang na sinisigawan kami, wala na sila ngayon. Iyong kanina lang na gumagalaw, patay na sila. And it happened right before my eyes. I saw Night kill these girls right before me.

I couldn't breathe.

"Are you alright?" tanong sa akin ni Laurie. "Boe."

My chest was tightening. God, I couldn't breathe.

"Night, she's not moving! Let's bring her to the clinic!"

My eyes were focused on the girls in front of me. Their eyes looking at me. Na para bang ako ang huli nilang nakita nung binawian sila ng buhay. That somehow... though I was not the one who pulled the trigger, I was the one responsible for the lives lost.

Binaba ni Night iyong baril at saka humarap sa akin. He kneeled in front of me and looked me straight in the eye.

"Listen to me."

My head was in a buzz but his voice demanded attention kaya napatingin ako sa kanya. All this time, I thought that it was Avo who was ruthless but I was wrong. Avo will tell you if he'd kill you. He would give you warning... But Night? Night was another level. He seemed harmless but he wasn't. He's calm but he can kill. He'd pull the trigger without even blinking. He's a walking contradiction and that made him even more dangerous.

"Do you want more blood spilled around here?"

I slowly shook my head.

"Good. So, let's not tell Avo about this, alright? Because if we do, he'd kill Laurie. Sayang naman 'yung pagkamatay nila," sabi niya sabay turo nung baril sa mga babaeng nakahiga. Tinignan niya si Laurie. "I'll bring her to the clinic. Call Lorenzo and tell him I asked him to clean up this mess."

Without so much a word, he scooped me up and began walking. I couldn't even will myself to touch him. He was scaring me.

Pagdating namin sa clinic, agad kaming sinalubong ng doctor. She must be thinking that I was such a klutz. Sa loob ng ilang linggo, ilang beses na rin akong nandito sa clinic. Baka sa susunod, sobra na iyong mangyari sa akin.

"Miss Estrella," sabi niya. "What happened?"

Hindi ako makapagsalita. Was I supposed to tell anything? It felt like I was walking on thin ice.

"I fell down the stairs," I lied. She didn't ask for more questions, siguro dahil na rin sa presensya ni Night sa tabi ko. Sinimulang linisin iyong sugat. I needed stitches because of the gash but it didn't seem like much compared to what the girls suffered. Bakit ba kasi nandun si Night? We could've handled it better. Wala sanang namatay.

Nung matapos na iyong paggamot sa akin, binigyan lang ako ng gamot nung doctor. I was advised to rest for the entire day. Pumayag na rin ako dahil nahihilo ako. And I wanted to rest.

"Kaya ko na," I said nung sinubukan akong alalayan ni Night. He was trying to hold me but I felt burned every time he'd try to touch me. Gone was the comforting feeling I had with him. All that was left was indifference. I wanted nothing to do with him anymore.

Sinubukan kong maglakad mag-isa kahit na sa totoo lang, nahihilo ako. The dorm was still a bit far from the clinic but I could manage. I knew I could do it all by myself. I practically grew up alone. I was basically separated from my family. Sanay naman akong mag-isa. But as I was walking, I could feel night trailing behind me.