24. FAREWELLS

Mulai dari awal

She herself had thought so highly of the draenei paladin. He was an influential strategist, with keen attention to detail. He had proven himself a formidable fighter, a great leader of men and a good friend in the short time she had known him. She remembered fondly, some of his tales he used to tell, and how his deep hearty laughter used to rumble round a room.

Khadgar came to stand beside Sarah and the others as the family said their farewells to Ocel before he was interred. She noted the pain in Khadgar's eyes. It tore at her heart. He had lost his confidant, the man he'd shared so many secrets, moments, laughs and life stories with. She wished she could spare him this grief, but it was something out of her hands. He stood watching the procession, his jaw clenched, lips tight, fighting back an outpouring of emotion. She curled her fingers round his and looked up into the eyes she adored. He managed the barest of smiles before turning his attention back to the crypt.

With the paladins' body interred, the family stood back allowing friends and comrades to pay their respects. Khadgar moved forward, his hand placed gently on Sarah's back guiding her with him.

Ocel's wife and their two eldest sons were at the front of the family gathering. Lukha with baby Caeniir, and Taril close beside them. They graciously and bravely accepted people's words of comfort and commiseration.

Now at the front of the line of mourners, Khadgar took Ocel's wife's hand in his right, covering it with his left. Bowing his head, he offered his deepest sympathies; his voice so soft, only she could hear. The widow stepped forward and hugged him. He had been her husband's greatest friend, and his pain was as great as hers. She seemed to offer him as much comfort and sympathy as he did her.

She then turned her eyes to Sarah, who in turn, expressed her sorrow for their loss. She was taken by surprise when the draenei spoke her name. "Sarah. I am Enhsa and it is a pleasure to meet you. I wish it had been under happier circumstances."

"The honour is mine, Enhsa," Sarah replied lowering her eyes, struggling to fight back the tears and the tremor in her voice.

Enhsa reached out and with two fingers, lifted Sarah's head so she was looking into her eyes. "Ocel spoke very highly of you," she said. "He saw greatness in you." The draenei widow glanced at Khadgar before resuming. "In fact, he also said you were the best thing to happen to this man here." She smiled at the Archmage, who offered a small smile in return. Turning back to Sarah, Enhsa took her hold of her hands. "It will make Ocel's spirit happy knowing you are together again."

Sarah's fight to stem the flow failed, tears traced down her cheeks but she attempted to smile as she spoke. "Thank you, Enhsa. I was very privileged to have met your husband. We will all miss him so much."

The draenei woman smiled. "Please Sarah, visit with us any time. I know Ocel would wish it so and you are more than welcome in our home."

With that, they moved on and allowed others to say their farewells.

The day stretched out. The wake was truly a celebration of the great paladin's life. Many stories were shared ranging from when he was a young boy to an apprentice and finally Vindicator. There was at least some laughter and the man was brought to life again by the sharing of memories. Still, as the sun started to sink over the Veiled Sea, time for quiet reflection returned once more.

Wrapped together in a blanket, Khadgar and Sarah sat atop a hill over-looking the Veiled Sea and watched as the last sliver of bright orange faded into soft purples and deep blues. They huddled together watching the stars as they punctured the indigo sky. A shooting star shot overhead.

"I made my wish," Sarah said snuggling against his arm. "Did you?" She looked up at his face.

He remained fixed, looking out over the sea. A soft grunt sounded in his chest. His mouth bore a tight smile. "Yes, though I doubt it will be granted." He didn't look at her.