14. THE CRUSADE BEGINS

This is dedicated with many thanks to @Raidriar93 for making the artwork below.  Check out his work both covers and stories

  Check out his work both covers and stories

The air filled her lungs and swept her hair back like an unfurling flag

The air filled her lungs and swept her hair back like an unfurling flag. She stood on the deck of the gunship staring straight ahead, her face set in quiet determination. Ahead, the ominous flare of green fel light pulsated in the sky; like a dark heart pumping blood through aorta and capillaries, feeding the land mass below in preparation for the coming assault. Her own heart was pounding, its beat providing a timpani to the steady drone of the gunship's engines. The time for discovering if her hunch was good logic or a misguided whim would be upon her soon. She just prayed it was the former.

To the south east of their location she saw Dalaran hovering above the Broken Isles, now a broken rock itself. The city had undergone severe damage since the time of its relocation. She had heard tales of the repeated assaults on the metropolis from wave after wave of the Legion's servants. Those who defended, did so with  valour and pride seconded to none. The sight of the once beautiful city draped a cloak of melancholy over her. It was a mantle she did not wish to wear, and she shrugged it from her mind. She had returned to ensure there was an abrupt end to this violation of Azeroth.

Khadgar stood just inside the doors to the lower decks, watching her closely. But, every time her head turned in his direction he ducked out of sight. Inwardly he chastised himself for being so childish, but he could not shake the disappointment he felt each time when she severed the eye contact they made. Yes, he had made a life choice, knowing its restrictions. Equally, having sent her back to her home planet nearly two years before, he had thought his choice, or rather acceptance of his role in life, would be easier to execute. How wrong he had been. Yet, he was a man of principle and a dutiful man at that. Still, it did not stop him from caring for her and longing for something he could never share with her again. His mouth tightened, annoyed with himself for wallowing in self pity. Azeroth needed him as did the Kirin Tor. There was no room for anything nor anyone else. He had to believe that. He just had to.

Absentmindedly, he picked at a ragged nail as his eyes drifted back to the stalwart woman standing on the deck. There was an undercurrent however. An unsettled feeling he could not pinpoint. Perhaps it was just the uncertainty of what they might find, but somehow he did not think so. If he was truthful, he sensed there was something about this expedition she was keeping from him. A shuffle followed by the dull clank of plate and steel sounded behind him announced Vindicator Ocel had come to stand at his side.