“No.” Mitch stated firmly before Simon even had the opportunity to finish his lie.

“But Dad-”

“Simon!” He shouted, his eyes bulging slightly. “I said no, goddamit. Now get ready and you better not miss your bus. You know I don’t allow laziness or excuses. The only way you’re missing school is if you’re dying.”

With that, Mitch shut the door with an even rougher impact then before. Simon sat there for a moment in a strange daze as he listened to Mitch gathering his work things and walking outside to get his car started. Simon glanced outside to find his dad setting his tools in the back trunk before bending over to examine his tires. Mitch always left long before Simon’s bus arrived and he began to wonder how much time he had left to kill himself. If that was the only way he was going to be getting out of school that dreadful, Monday morning then Simon was more than willing to take the opportunity. 

Reaching into that same, nifty spot underneath his pillow, he yanked out the razor sharp blade that was still stained with his blood and reflected the tears in his eyes. A part of him was unconscious as to what he was about to do. He always cut himself to relieve the sweltering pain, but it was usually restricted to his legs. Simon had little control over his actions when he placed the sharp end of the razor to his wrist. His flesh was pale and a red ripe from the bitter cold outside. He looked away in shame, unable to bestow his eyes upon the action he was resorting to. 

Maybe this wouldn't kill him. Maybe it’d just release more of the pain then he was used to. Simon finally convinced himself that once he was finished he’d be well enough to finally gain the gumption to attend school that day and simply get the rest of the week over with. Two more weeks, he reminded himself. Two more weeks and he’d be out of this hell hole called life. What waited for him on the other end was unknown but he was eager to just get away. Even if it was for the moment.

Gliding the slick razor against his skin was almost painless at first and startled Simon slightly. He continued to keep his eyes closed as tears traced his cheeks and he turned his head away. Simon put the slightest amount of pressure before he finally felt the cool blood leak from the wound and make a long trail down his wrist. Letting out a long sigh of relief, he found that he could finally breathe again.

-----------

“Tabitha still isn’t talking to you?” Hunter asked with a snicker.

Lane looked out the car window bitterly and bit his bottom lip. He really hadn’t wanted to discuss the Tabitha topic as it was something he’d been trying to steer his mind clear of that Monday morning. Simply because the mere thought of her refusing to talk to him drove him insane. The familiar streets of their small, Colorado town whizzed by at a fast pace and Lane found himself in a trance.

“She’ll come around.” He mumbled.

Hunter was smiling smugly as his eyes were fixated on the empty streets ahead of him. He gave Lane a quick glance before focusing on the road once more in an entirely safe manner. It made Lane roll his eyes. What did Hunter think? The fucking invisible car in front of them was going to slam on their breaks suddenly? Lane wished. He sort of wanted to be dead in the moment but decided to say nothing and allowed Hunter to proceed with his constant safety awareness. 

“Why is she mad?” Hunter suddenly asked.

It was a loaded question and one that Lane initially hadn’t wanted to answer or even discuss for that matter. But he wondered if some of the stress would be relieved if he had someone to talk to about it. Lane wasn’t entirely sure since he’d never had someone to confide to about his problems. The only friend he’d had was Archie and Lane would be a damn fool to let that prick in on his personal life. Lane had known better than to ever trust Archie.