A knock on the door interrupted my train of thoughts .

"Come in."

It was just Mateo.

Despite his mom being a witch , he was actually pretty nice. He wasn't what I thought when I first met him. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that he's Lila's son.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I said trying to sound fine.

"Come on Maxine, I know you."

My smile immediately dropped. "I just miss dad."

Mateo nodded.

Dad treated him like an actual son. While she would laze around and waste money that dad would work hard for, the three of us would bond. We went to a few theme parks, concerts and we basically do everything together. I felt as if Mateo was my brother by blood. The only person who wasn't in the family was Lila.

No matter what she says , I will never call her mom. She doesn't deserve the title.

"Come on, I convinced mom to let us go to the mall."

My eyes widened." Impossible."

He smirked at me. "The word itself says I'm possible."

"Whatever, let's go before she changes her mind."

Mateo's P.O.V.

I'm finally done with this room. I am going to redecorate it. Was the person who designed this room loved the darkness? This place just gives me the creeps.

 Was the person who designed this room loved the darkness? This place just gives me the creeps

I went down to see mom moving her things to her room.

"Mateo, move my bags to my room, I am tired."

I had to bite my tongue to reply , of bossing Maxine and I all day.

I grabbed her dinosaur size bags and carried it to her room. Her orange room. I still have no idea what her obsession with the color orange.

 I still have no idea what her obsession with the color orange

"Good , now leave."

She went to her bed and flipped a magazine.

"I'm going to the mall."

"Whatever."

Sometimes I felt as if I'm talking to teenager instead of my mom. I went out of her room and went to Maxine's room.

I explained to her everything and she grabbed the pink purse that I got her last year.

We rushed to the mall. We would do anything just to get away from mom. I bet in a few minutes, she'd go looking for us to do her part of the chores . If we ever have a maid, she would be gone by a month. Mom always scares them away. Her record is one week.

A few minutes later , we got separated by the crowd. I took out my phone and called her. She better stay put and not panic like she would usually do when she's somewhere she isn't familiar with.

"Mateo , where are you?"

"I'm by the little store where we bought paint for my room."

"The craft supplies?"

"Yeah, and you?"

"I'm at the restaurant where we had lunch."

"Okay , I'm coming there , stay put okay?"

"Okay hurry , you know how I feel being left alone in a place I'm not familiar with."

I looked around and saw one of those maps for the mall things. She's right a floor below me. I turned so fast that I collided with someone.

"Ouch! I'm sorry , are you okay?"

"Yeah , I'm fine."

I stood up and gave her my hand to take.

"I'm sorry again , but I have to go to my sister."

She smiled. "It was nice to meet you."

I smiled and ran down to find Maxine. That girl looked familiar, like I've seen her somewhere before. Oh well. I shrugged it off and returned to finding Maxine.

~~~

"Hey , who was that who bumped into you?" He asked me.

I shrugged." Don't know, he's probably a tourist here."

"He looked as if he was in a hurry."

"I think he got separated from his sister here, this is a huge mall."

"Okay then, by the way let's go home, mom and dad just called."

"Whatever Louise."

"Just keep moving Em, we have lessons to take."

I groaned. "You just had to remind me."

A.N. Yeah I know I was supposed to place this story on Friday , but I was just feeling on writing this early . So yeah , hope you liked it.🙂