Chapter 17: Whats The Plan

Mikes POV:
I heard elevens voice in my head. I didn't say anything to anyone else, I guess I forgot in the excitement of it.

Hearing her was my motivation to move forward and possibly get killed in Hawkins Lab. I was brought out of my thoughts by Lucas' loud voice.

"Uh, hello, earth to Mike. What's the plan?" I focused on the map, trying to see if there was a way we could get to the portal without being noticed.

Suddenly my eye caught something, "I have an idea." I said excitedly and they all stared at me, waiting.
"Vents." I said blankly and they all looked at me like I was insane.
"Mike..none of us are even small enough to-" will started but I cut him off.

"You and Lucas are. And who a better person to find it than someone who's been there?" I answered, a little over excited.
"What about us? Are we just gonna wait here until we're caught or?" bee asked.

"No, I don't know, we can wait in one of the rooms until they figure something out or until they come out, but either way this is a way to possibly get to eleven. We're doing it." I said confidently.

Will and Lucas looked scared but I assured them they weren't gonna get caught in the vents. None of the workers would of been small enough to get in anyway.

We walked up to a door, it was elevens room. Coincidentally it was the closest.
We had bee pick the lock and it came open easier than the last one.
We walked up and I saw the vent opening. It looked larger than I had originally thought.

Bee unscrewed it with the pocket knife.
"You can stop showing off for Dustin now, I think he already likes you." I said teasingly to her and she hid her face from view as she mumbled for me to shut up.

I looked inside.
"Wait, guys, I think we can all fit in here." I said as I felt a huge burst of relief.
We used the chair left in the room to boost ourselves up.
We went in order from size,
Will
Lucas
Bee
Me
Dustin.

Once we all inside bee placed the little metal door piece back in place without screwing it shut, just in case we needed a quick escape.

"It's amazing how we've made it this far without notice." Bee said in genuine wonder as we crawled through the vent.
"Or they've noticed and it's a trap." Lucas said and I kicked him.
"Shut up, Lucas." I said and he turned his head to glare at me.
"Sh, they might hear you guys." Dustin said, as I saw a little opening in the vent. As I passed it I tried my best to peek through, but it was so small what I was seeing wasn't exactly clear. I saw people though. "Bad men?" Lucas asked and I shrugged. "Possibly." I whispered before continuing forward.

When we hit the room with the portal it was obvious. The air was so toxic I could feel it affecting my lungs all the way up in the vent.
"This is it." I said in a cold tone just above the opening.
"Okay, so do we go in?" bee asked and I looked at will.
"Do you wanna? I mean your already used to it and-" I started but he cut me off, "sure, Mike. I'll go." he said and he came over and kicked the door off. "I didn't know you had that in you." I said and he smiled and said, "yeah, me neither."
                          •••
Wills POV:
Mike asked me to go to the portal, and I instantly felt guilty. I knew I was gonna drop down to see a closed portal and I was gonna have to disappoint all my best friends and tell them this entire thing was for nothing.

I dropped down in the room and landed right on my butt. I could already taste the toxic air, that I've breathed 4 times today already. I looked up and saw yellow tinted tape.

Malfunctioning it said across the tape. Confused, I walked up to it. There's was a piece of paper taped up onto the glass window, next to the door.