Henry VIII

Henry Tudor was born on the 28 June 1491, at Greenwich

Henry Tudor was born on the 28 June 1491, at Greenwich. He was the second son of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York.

Henry acceded to the throne on the 22 April 1509. He was crowned at Westminster Abbey on the 24 June 1509.

He was married six times (see next chapters), First to Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr.

In the early years of his reign, Henry was content to leave governing in the hands of his Chancellor, Cardinal Wolsey. However, Wolsey fell from power when he failed to secure a divorce for Henry from Catherine of Aragon. The King became increasingly autocratic and by his death he was much hated.

Henry died at Whitehall on the 28 January 1547, aged 55. (The day of his fathers birthday)

Events of The Reign 1509-1547:

-1509 Henry accedes to the throne on the death of his father, Henry VII + Henry married Catherine of Aragon, daughter of the Spanish King and Queen.

-1513 The English defeat the Scots at the Battle of Flodden Field. James IV of Scotland is killed

-1515 Thomas Wolsey becomes Chancellor

-1516 Catherine gives birth to Princess Mary (later Mary I)

-1518 The Pope and The Kings of England, France, and Spain pledge peace in Europe.

-1520 Henry holds peace talks with Francis I of France at the Field of the Cloth of Gold.

-1529 Cardinal Wolsey is accused of high treason, but dies before he can be brought to trial.

-1533 Henry's marriage to Catherine Of Aragon is annulled by Archbishop Thomas Cranmer + Henry marries Anne Boleyn.

--1533 Princess Elizabeth (later Elizabeth I) is born.

-1533 The Pope excommunicates Henry

-1534 The Act of Supremacy is passed, establishing Henry as the head of the Church Of England.

-1536 Anne Boleyn is beheaded at the Tower of London. Nine days after Henry marries Jane Seymour.

-1537 Jane Seymour dies giving birth to Price Edward (later Edward VI)

-1540 Henry marries Anne of Cleves but they get divorced in July + Henry marries Catherine Howard

-1542 Catherine Howard is executed for treason.

-1543 Henry marries the twice-widowed Catherine Parr, his sixth and last wife.

-1547 Henry VIII dies

Description:

As a young man Henry was tall and handsome. However as he got older, he became grossly overweight and was riddled with disease. It was said that you could smell the King before you saw him.

Author's note:

King Henry VIII is one of the Kings I like best. I am fascinated by him and have researched loads about him. I think that by the end of his life, he became depressed and lonely. Depressed for the lost of his children (miscarried, stillborn, dies shortly after birth) and lonely because of all his wives.

-:-:-:-

Henry VIII up in the sidebar for you to see.