Chapter 9

Eleanor's naked back was turned to me. I know she wasn't asleep and in the past few weeks we've picked up this routine where after sex, she leaves but today was different and I could feel it. I just hope it wasn't just me feeling it.

My hands ached to touch her back, I wanted to and I even tried to make a move but I was scared if I did she'd push me away.

So far, we haven't really talked about it. We'd meet and we'd have sex and then she'd leave or I'd leave.

Today, though, today it was different. I was on my way out when she dropped by. I was actually heading to her house because her father was in town for his birthday and my parents were expecting me to attend dinner at the Williams with them. But Eleanor was at my doorstep when I opened the door and before I knew it, she was all over me, pushing me back inside and the last thing on my mind was dinner.

I was starting to see a pattern and I wanted to ask, I really did but you never really know with Eleanor... I was scared if I asked, she'd get dressed and leave.

"I'm thirsty, do you want some water?" She nods without saying a word. I put on my underwear and one of Gio's large shirt. One day, I'm sure all of his t-shirts will be in my closet.

On my way to and back from the kitchen, I thought about how to bring up the subject but when I entered my dim room, Eleanor was sitting, her back against the wall and the covers wrapped around her body. She reached for the glass of water and drank it quickly, leaving the glass on the floor, under the bed. I sat in front of her with my legs crossed and I waited for her to look at me.

Look at me, look at me, look at me, please look at me.

And when she did, I wish she hadn't.

The look in her eyes made my heart shrink until it was the size of a peanut. Small but big enough to get caught up in my throat and keep me from swallowing.

"You have pretty eyes, Kohen." She blurted out. I couldn't help but smile. I had a weird mixture between my mum's brown and my dad's green. Something like honey.

"Thank you?"

"I like your skin," She was reaching for my hand. Her skin looked slightly whiter next to my light brownish skin. Her bony fingers are playing with mine. Her nails are pretty and taken care of, painted purple while mine are short from biting them.

"I like your face," When the words leave my mouth, my cheeks get warm and Eleanor snorted.

"I like your accent when you speak with your mum in Spanish." She laughed, "I don't understand shit but— it sounds nice."

"That's a first," I laughed. "Even Colombians think my mum has an ugly accent because she's from the northern coast. My accent is bad, though, I just try to imitate hers. I think you have a pretty voice." My cheeks feel so warm that I'm sure if I was a cartoon, they'd be bright red. "I— I like it when you talk to me."

"I like the way you say things sometimes." She whispered, looking away from me. These little confessions felt funny to me. We weren't looking at each other but I meant every word I said, I hope she did too because even though it was weird, I felt nice.

"I like that you're always honest," I looked down at our hands, her fingers stopped moving, and she slowly took it back, leaving mine alone and kind of colourless.

Eleanor licked her lips, she picks at her thumb with her nails. She avoided looking at me. I grabbed her hand and kept her from hurting her thumb.

"I don't like my dad." She finally let it out and I could tell she was worried about my response to it.