Womens Status in Islam

Start from the beginning

to accuse chaste women who never even think of anything touching their chastity and are good believers."

[Hadith - Bukhari 8:840]

Narrated Abu Huraira 

Hilal bin Umaiya accused his wife before the Prophet pbuh of committing illegal sexual intercourse with Sharik bin Sahma. The Prophet pbuh said, "Produce a proof, or else you would get the legal punishment (by being lashed) on your back." Hilal said, "O Allah's Apostle! If anyone of us saw another man over his wife, would he go to search for a proof." The Prophet went on saying, "Produce a proof or else you would get the legal punishment (by being lashed) on your back." The Prophet  then mentioned the narration of Lian (as in the Holy Book). (Surat-al-Nur: 24)

         *the proof required is four witnesses

[The Noble Qur'an - An-Nur 24:4-9]

And those who accuse chaste women, and produce not four witnesses, flog them with eighty stripes, and reject their testimony forever, they indeed are the Fasiqun (liars, rebellious, disobedient to Allah).

Except those who repent thereafter and do righteous deeds, (for such) verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

As for those who accuse their wives, but have no witnesses except themselves, let the testimony of one of them be four testimonies (i.e. testifies four times) by Allah that he is one of those who speak the truth.

And the fifth (testimony) (should be) the invoking of the Curse of Allah on him if he be of those who tell a lie (against her).

But it shall avert the punishment (of stoning to death) from her, if she bears witness four times by Allah, that he (her husband) is telling a lie.

And the fifth (testimony) should be that the Wrath ofAllah be upon her if he (her husband) speaks the truth.

4. Marriage

[Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi #605] Narrated Ali ibn Abu Talib  Transmitted by Tirmidhi.

Allah's Apostle pbuh said: Ali, there are three matters which should not be deferred: the Prayer when its time is due, the funeral as soon it is ready, and the case of a woman without a husband, when there is a suitable (spouse) for her in her class.

[Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi #605] Narrated Aisha 

The Prophet  said, "The marriage which produces most blessing is that which involves least burden."

5. Mothers

The Prophet pbuh said,

"Paradise lies at the feet of your mothers."

The hadith with this wording is da'if ( a tradition that does not fit into the categories of authentic, good or dependable. It is therefore a ‘weak’ tradition),

but its meaning is contained in the hadith of Ibn Majah and al-Nasa'i that a man came to the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) and said, "O Messenger of Allah! I intend to go on a (military) expedition, but I have come to ask your advice." He said, "Is your mother alive?" He said, "Yes." He said, "Then stay with her, for the Garden is under her feet."

[This latter hadith is declared to be sahih by al-Hakim, al-Dhahabi and al-Mundhiri.  --Kashf al-Khafa', no. 1078; Al-Da'ifah, no. 593]

[Hadith - Bukhari 8.2]

Narrated Abu Huraira 

A man came to Allah's Apostle pbuh and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Who is more entitled to be treated with the best companionship by me?" The Prophet said, "Your mother." The man said. "Who is next?"  The Prophet  said, "Your mother." The man further said, "Who is next?" The Prophet  said, "Your mother." The man asked for the fourth time, "Who is next?" The Prophet  said, "Your father."