ELEVEN

xi.

  —SAVANNAH never had the experience of siblings

—SAVANNAH never had the experience of siblings. It was always just her and her dad until it was just her and her grandmother with her father across town. Her grandmother had a yappy dog that would bark at the crack of dawn to be let outside, but never — never did it pounce on her to wake her up.

"Savannah! Get. Your. Butt. Up. Right. Now!" With each word, Mia jumped on a different part of Savannah's body. Maybe this bruising would allow her to try that ambrosia again. "You have to come see this!"

Savannah held a hand up to her eyes to block out the sunlight from the windows. "See what?"

Mia giggled. "It's a surprise!"

The redhead sighed and moved to stand up, lightly shivering from the cold. She went to grab a hairbrush from her bag, but Mia had already latched onto her arm and was dragging her out of the cabin with a speed that should have been impossible for the girl's short stature.

"Hey!" Savannah shouted, well aware she had the worst case of bed-head in the mornings. It was not her goal to make a messy impression on her new camp mates.

"Come on!" Mia called and pulled on her arm harder.

"Okay, okay," Savannah started running alongside Mia this time and they ended up standing beside Julia. "Oh, my god."

"Gods," Julia corrected, not really paying attention to her as she gaped at the ... well, the dragon. She nudged Savannah. "Instead of the knight in shining armor slaying the dragon, he's riding it, eh?"

"My hero," Savannah laughed it off, but the sight of Leo grinning on the dragon was remarkable. He was lapping up all the stunned and impressed faces. He had dark circles under his eyes, but the pride that practically gleamed off of him was overpowering. To put it simply, Leo looked like he belonged up there.

The dragon was actually huge, she suspected more than fifty feet from head to tail. It looked monstrous, with its claws and beady red eyes. She didn't know that it was made of metal when she first heard about it. Savannah had pictured some green, scaly reptile. Somehow, this was scarier.

The wings were folded inward making them look ten times smaller than they probably were.

"Wow ..." Savannah found herself oggling over the complex machinery. She may know nothing about it, but she could marvel the intricacies.

The dragon lifted its head and breathed fire into the morning sky, increasing the orange sunrise until the blue disappeared. Savannah was quick to take a step back, the fire a little too fresh for her.

Leo slid down the body of the dragon. His hair was wild — well, more so than it usually was, and his face matched it. Grease was smudged on his chin like he'd accidentally scratched there with oil on his fingers. His eyes were wide with exhilaration and his lips were parted in a crooked smile, unknowingly causing an upward tilt of Savannah's mouth.