NINE

ix.

  —SAVANNAH was only partially tuned into Jason's sudden revelation

  —SAVANNAH was only partially tuned into Jason's sudden revelation. She could admit, she should be more worried about a boy who was once once of her best friends, but she has come to realize he ... never was? Or could he still technically be her friend?

  Rachel was dubious. "How did you know that?"

  "I know those lines," Jason winced. "I don't know how, but I know that prophecy."

  "In Latin, no less," Drew called. "Handsome and smart." Giggling erupted from the boys and girls surrounding her proximity. Savannah could not believe they traded one Isabel for a Drew. The campfire was now burning a chaotic, nervous shade of green and she couldn't help but think she was fueling it more with the tapping of her heel.

  Jason sat down next to Annabeth after that remark, looking more embarrassed than when Leo claimed the boy loved Piper in front of the whole cafeteria. At least that time had been funny.

  Rachel looked shaken down to the core as she glanced over her shoulder to Chiron for help. But he didn't do anything but stare in the distance, almost like he was reminiscing. And it wasn't the pleasant kind.

  "Well," Rachel said, shaking her head to regain her thoughts, "so, yeah, that's the Great Prophecy. We hoped it might not happen for years, but I fear it's starting now. I can't give you proof." Savannah thought it was pretty obvious that the assumption of it beginning was correct, but she wasn't an expert on these quest things. "It's just a feeling. And like Drew said, some weird stuff is happening." That was an understatement, Savannah sighed. "The seven demigods, whoever they are, have not been gathered yet. I get the feeling some are here tonight. Some are not here."

The campers around Savannah started to stir and mutter to their neighbours, all silently deciding who they thought the seven could be.

"I'm here! Oh...were you calling roll?" A voice in the crowd behind the girl shouted.

"Go back to sleep, Clovis," someone yelled, and a lot of people laughed. Savannah raised an eyebrow, how could anyone sleep through something like this?

"Anyway, we don't know what the Great Prophecy means," Rachel continued. "We don't know what challenge the demigods will face, but since the first Great Prophecy predicted the Titan War, we can guess the second Great Prophecy will predict something at least that bad."

"Or worse," Chiron muttered, trying to keep his voice down, but everyone in his vicinity heard him.

Savannah wasn't sure how long ago the first prophecy took place, but as she looked around, a lot of campers had dark looks. She could tell it was recent, a lot of the campers had obviously taken part in it. The fire was dark purple and it reminded Savannah of the curtains at her father's old house. Always drawn closed to keep out the sunlight.