Nice to have a friend

Start from the beginning

Briana's face fell quickly. I just rolled my eyes. I couldn't really relate to any of that too much because I always flew so far under the radar that I never got bullied. I was so invisible that I didn't even exist to most of the people in my high school. That sounded a little sad if I thought of it that way...

"How does it feel to finally meet someone that's even uglier than you?" A short girl asked, though I wasn't sure who the question was directed at.

I opened my mouth to defend Bri and to tell them to go away, but a voice from behind me spoke first. "Don't you dare talk about my little sister like that," the deep voice that I've come to know and like said.

Everyone stiffened at his commanding voice. "Y-your sister?" Someone asked fearfully.

I was so proud that he was standing up for her. I smiled widely as he came and stood on the opposite side of the table from the mean kids.

"Yes, my sister. Aiden Clark, Briana Clark.... Make sense?" He snarled. "I don't want to ever hear another word said to or about my sister ever again. Understand?" Aiden paused waiting for someone to answer.

No one said a word, they all just stood around looking at each other in horror.

"UNDERSTAND?!" He repeated much louder.

"Yes," everyone murmured and dispersed at his threatening glare. He was very effective.

Aiden and Brandon both looked at the two us, "are you okay Bri?" Aiden asked leaning towards his little sister with soft eyes.

"Yes Aiden, thanks." Briana said smiling up at her brother.

She was really happy; it made me happy to see her so happy... for a second, at least.

"Do y'all want sit with us? Both of you?" Brandon asked nicely.

"No." I denied instantly. I knew that some of the kids that had just insulted me were sitting over there, and not to mention Bridget. I was fine in my own little world at my own little table. "I mean no thanks. I'm fine right here." I corrected trying not to sound too rude, but that was just who I was as a person. I had never been taught social niceties or anything of the sort. "Bri, you go ahead if you want. Don't feel obliged to sit with me."

"I'm sitting with Aubry, thanks though." She said simply.

The boys nodded and headed off to their usual table. Although, they looked put off and confused as they sat with their regular group.

"You know that you don't have to sit with me right? I mean most people want to sit with your brother and them. I won't be mad or offended." I said following her gaze to the table.

She shook her head quickly. "Oh no... I'm sitting with my friend. Besides, all of them are fake and insult me on the daily. So, I'm good."

There was a long pause between us. As she ate and I just stared off into space trying to force myself to breathe normally.

"Aubry... thanks for whatever you said to Aiden, I appreciate it. He's like a new person, almost. He's acting like my brother again."

I nodded and diverted my attention feeling awkward at her thanks. I wasn't good with gratitude since I had never really experienced it before.

"He likes you, you know? He just doesn't understand it yet, he's never seriously liked anyone before."

I shifted awkwardly in my seat and flinched because of my ribs. I was also not good with feelings. I never had time for those before, except fear and hatred. I had those pretty mastered.