The Visit

I get a call from my dad around 2, so I tell Paul. We get in his car and head to the airport. I run when I see my parents. I hug them, glad to see them again. "Hey sweetie, it's so good to see you again!" mom says, still hugging me. "What happened to your arms?" my dad asks. Oops, I forgot to wear a long-sleeved shirt. "I thought you said they were just a few scratches," mom says. She was always faster than dad. "They are just scratches. If it was anything serious I would tell you," I try to reasure them. "Promise?" mom asks. "Of course!" I say. We head to get their luggage. As usual, dad only brought a carry-on and mom brought enough suitcases for a year. Paul and I help mom with her bags and somehow manage to fit everything in his trunk. I sit up front with Paul, mom and dad in back.

"So Kate, how's everything going! Tell us everything!" mom says, smiling. "Well nothing much, considering I haven't even been here a month yet." "Well you were kidnapped," dad points out. "Yeah, but that was nothing. Just an idiot who wanted my job," I say, and it was. I hadn't even been with him a whole day. "Of course it was something! We were so worried about you," Paul says, making me smile. "Yeah, a kidnapping is never nothing," mom says. "Again, I'm fine and it's over. I wasn't even with him that long. Can we talk about something happy?" "As long as you're fine. How goes the internship? We haven't heard anything!" mom says, happy again. "She's actually a full-time member now, not just an intern," Paul says. "Wow, how cool! Are you getting paid?" dad asks. I say "Yes" as Paul says "No". He looks at me confused, "Lewis hasn't been paying you." "Not directly. Didn't you notice the raise in your paycheck?" "Why are you doing that? You should be keeping it," he says. "I thought it'd help with my expenses. And anyway, what would I spend the money on?" "Stuff you want, clothes, books, or whatever. And I don't mind the expenses. Isn't that what friends are for? How about this, you keep 75% of it." "Fine," I say reluctantly.

"Do you two have anywhere to stay?" Paul asks as we pull up to his house. "Yes, we made reservations at the hotel down the street. We just want to see where Andrea's staying," dad says as we step out of Paul's car. "Okay. That's understandable. I'm glad you'll be staying at a hotel, the only rooms with a bed are Andrea's and my own." We walk inside and I lead them to my room. "It's nice. How have you been sleeping here?" Mom asks, sitting down on my bed. "Good," I say, not wanting to mention my nightmare last night. "Wonderful. And I don't think you've been homesick. If you were you would have called us," dad says, making me feel guilty for not calling. "I've been so busy lately. I wanted to call, but I kept forgetting," I say, looking at them apologetically. "It's okay. We knew you'd be busy. We're just so happy for you, this is what you always wanted," mom says, smiling widely at me. "I just wish you guys lived closer so I could see you more," I say, joining mom at the bed. "You know we can't move. Dad can't leave his job right now," mom says, looking sad. "I know. I didn't expect you to. I was just saying I've been missing you," I say, leaning against mom. She hugs me, dad joining in.

We head out to the restaurant we went to to celebrate my becoming a full member. We sit and talk until mom yawns. "Why don't I drive you to your hotel? You must be so tired. Andrea and I have a busy day tomorrow as well," Paul says, smiling at me. What's happening tomorrow? I wonder if he's just saying that or is he not telling me something? "Good idea. Can you pick us up tomorrow when you head to the office?" dad asks. "Of course. We usually head to the office around 9 and head home whenever we're done with our work," Paul tells them as he get into the car. "Done with your work? I thought you just played video games," dad says, making both Paul and I laugh. "There's so much more to it than that. We have to edit videos, which takes longer than actually recording. We also have to keep up with current games, social media websites, and other stuff like that. You can't simply play video games without it being work. At least not at our level of popularity," Paul explains. "Ah. We know nothing about what it is you do, and we're not very technical, so we're clueless," mom chuckles.