11. Rainfall Releases The Crazies

ابدأ من البداية

            There was something oddly personal and intimate with entwining fingers. It wasn't a normal handhold.

            Maybe I’m just going crazy in trying to analyze what this handhold meant.

            “I won’t let anything happen to you,” Coda says, in rare sincerity. “I promise.”

            I just gape at him, taken aback by this gentle side to him.

            He looks away and I swear I see a small tinge of red on his cheeks.

            “I mean, if you died, all this trouble would have been for nothing,” he adds in, a wry smile on his face.

            I couldn’t even find it in me to snap at him in anger; I was in too much shock.

            In all honesty-and mushiness- I was touched by his gesture.

            A small smile grows on my lips as I watch him fidget, clearly uncomfortable with this idea of sincerity.

            He glances at me, looking away again quickly.

            “Stop smiling like that, you look like a Cheshire cat,” he quips.

            I only laugh, turning around to look forward.

            His hands warm my cold ones and as he pulls the car into gear, I feel him squeeze my hand briefly.

            “Remember, I’m not really a fan of breaking promises,” he brings up, maneuvering the car through the curves of the road. “So don’t go breaking them.”

            I smile to myself, thinking back to the promises we’ve made so far.

            The first one being that we were going to go through this act until the end and two,that I wouldn’t call it quits (because apparently, I’m an easy quitter).

            “There’s always a chance that you could break your promise,” I say, being a complete smart ass.

            He is silent for a few moments and I dwell on his promise to protect me.

            Coda chuckles to himself, obviously thinking something to himself.

            “Not a chance,” he says, turning to meet my gaze, a half smirk on his lips.

~*~

            The sound of rain pounding against the car throws the atmosphere into a tense silence.

            With my hand still in Coda’s, Coda keeps his eyes on the road in concentration.

            The windshield wipers take off in a fast speed, uselessly throwing off the water from the glass only more water poured onto the car.

            Thunder crashes above us and a lightening streak briefly illuminates the night-the tall trees, deserted road and who knows what else.

            My body was growing sore from the tense position I’ve remained in for the past hour and a half.

            “Go to sleep, that may help,” Coda murmurs to me, never taking his eyes off the road.

            I shake my head.

            “No,” I whisper back.

            Every time I closed my eyes, images of thundering rain, shattered glass, and lots of blood infiltrated my mind.