Fourth Chapter

Few moments after he left, Williana found herself reminiscing the past. How they end up being married and how they agreed to try to make their marriage work.

She felt humiliated after her sister's remark about her looks. It is not that she is someone you can consider ugly but she is just the type of girl you won't take second look at. It can be attributed to her lack of interest in making an effort about her looks. She's not fond of make-ups and she isn't used to wearing fashionable clothes that is why.

"Those are not tears I'm seeing, right Miss?" hearing a baritone voice spoke beside her almost made her jump.

"Who are you?" she asked with fear. Well who could blame her? She is in a dark place with a man she didn't know. Realizing that alarms her.

"You need not worry Miss. I assure you I am not some bad guy that would jump on you given our situation where we are alone here in the dark" his statement rather scared her knowing that he also know how much advantage he has over her.

"Now I believe I ask you a question. Are you crying?" seeing that she didn't have a choice but to be polite with the man she answered him.

"I'm sorry you have to witness that. I thought I was alone and I just felt the need to let go" she said.

"No, you don't have to apologize. I am the one who disturbed your moment here" he said sounding so sincere that she relaxed her guard a bit.

"Are you also trying to escape from the crowd?" she dared ask him.

"You can say that" and then through the little light on his side she saw him smile. And she was fascinated how that simple gesture seem to lit his face.

"Anyway it's getting a little cold here. I think we need to go back inside" she just nod at him in agreement. Then that was when her discomfort with her shoes take the better of her making her lose balance and trip. She was prepared to fall and let him make fun of her clumsiness but she felt his hand supporting her back as he held her.

"Oh my sister! What are you doing here with a man? And in that compromising position" And there she saw her sister who caught the attention of other guest with her statement. She just realized how scandalous their position is. The man is holding her back as support while their legs are somewhat tangled and her skirt is hiked up her legs due to her sudden tripping. She quickly righted herself and put distance between her and the man.

"It really isn't how it looks Anastacia" she said in a little voice.

"But I am not implying anything my sister"

But her sister so eagerly told what she said was nothing to their father who got mad.

"Do you know what those people think right now? They think you are having an affair with that Montford guy?" His father said in an accusing tone. That was one of the expression and tone she couldn't forget.

And then that event has become the talk of the town. The guy was a well-knowned bachelor and businessman who has been elusive about his relationship with woman. It is natural that people got interested when his name has been paired with a woman especially someone as plain as her. What more her father's business hit a point of bankruptcy which adds an interesting flavor to the news. In the end his father went to the Montford's and ask help in saving both her reputation and their company. She still wonders how but the agreement resulted to her being Vladimir Montford's wife.

She was scared of how he would treat her after their wedding ceremony. She was too young to know what she has to do and she is also as clueless as can be when it comes to being a wife but Vladimir put her worries to rest when he told him he wouldn't demand anything from her. He told her all he ask is her honesty and her loyalty.

"We'll have a marriage of good friendship. We will be friends enjoying each other's company as we try to work out this marriage" was his exact words of how their marriage shall go on. And then days passed by. At first, they are both distant and just acting civil with each other but later on they started to act friendly. She even started to like him for the way he treated her until that day came. A day when he decided to end their marriage and bring down her father's business without explanation. She hated him for it because the loss and anger his father felt that time cause him to have a heart attack.

A tear escaped her eye. She didn't want to cry, didn't want to be weak all over again but remembering everything still hurts. And realizing that she had wantonly given herself to Vladimir caused her to feel guilty and ashamed of herself.