Chapter Twenty Six (Part III)

Eric and Danielle. ☝🏽️

Jerome POV:

If it's not one thing it's another

If it's not one thing it's another. Eric? Dead? Hell naw, they got the wrong person. This can't be possible. It just can't be.

"What's wrong?" Aireka asked me, noticing my change in mood. I was in total shock. How the fuck could this even happen? What the hell is going on? What is life right now?

"Man .... Eric just died. He had a heart attack." I informed her as I shook my head slowly. I was in disbelief, denial even. He couldn't be dead. He just couldn't.

"Eric who?" She asked sitting up in her seat and looking at me like I had lost my damn mind.

"Mookie's Dad." I explained.

"Wha-what?" She asked. Her voice came out breathless, as if somebody had came and just knocked the wind out of her and she was struggling to breathe.

"Yeah, that was Chris calling to tell me." I told her. "I'm about to go up to the hospital but I'll drop you off if you wanna go home?" I offered. I knew that she was probably tired as hell and I didn't want her to have to sit at the hospital all day and night if she didn't want to.

"Go home?" She asked scrunching her face up and looking at me like I was crazy, again. I'm tired of all these stank ass faces she's been making at me. "Jerome, my best friend's Daddy just died. I'm going to the hospital! I need to be there for her." I didn't respond, I just nodded my head and continued the journey to the hospital.

I could hear her sniffling quietly so I placed my hand on her thigh to comfort her. "I just don't understand. A heart attack! How? He was only 55! He was in shape! He looked great! He was perfectly healthy! I don't get it. This is not okay, it's just not." She cried.

"I know babe, I know it." I mumbled as I shook my head. I was trying not to think about it too hard because I didn't want to get emotional myself. I needed to be strong for Mookie and my kids. I would have to wait until I was alone or something to cry. They weren't about to catch me slipping at all. I have to be strong for the family.

It was hard because Eric was like a father to me. When I was younger he took me under his wing. He didn't say much about it, but he would always let me know that if I ever needed him he would always be there for me. Even after I fucked up things with Mookie. He made it known that I wasn't his favorite person, but I knew that I could count on him if I needed anything. I guess that's where Mookie gets her loyalty from.

"I know Mama Danielle is probably going through it right now." Aireka said shaking her head before sighing.

I honestly don't know how she's going to handle the rest of her life without Eric because they were so close. They were true marriage and relationship goals for me and everybody else around them. They were high school sweethearts and had been married for over thirty years.