56

Game Day 2.0

USAvSUI / 115th minute

Both teams were exhausted.

There had been chances from both sides ; Betos came up with three saves in a row, avoiding the USA to see the victory slip away from them. The USWNT was back on track, and hit the crossbar twice. Switzerland was keeping up pretty well. So both teams were now leveled up, and nobody really wanted to go to penalties.

"This semi-finale makes me think of the one in the 2012 Olympics against Canada" Jrue commented. He seemed to tensed that it made Heather laugh ; they were both on the edge of their seats. "Lauren told me it was so intense that she thought it would never have ended" he added, cracking a smile.

"I don't know if the up-come will be as bright at is was six years ago" Heather said, biting her nails.

°

In the 118th minute, something unbelievable happened.

Allie dispossessed the ball in a magnificent way, and was now trapped between two players. She used her body to make a way through. She spotted Tobin making a run at the top of the eighteen. She then didn't think twice ; Tobin had assisted her on so many goals, she now was in her position. She sent a beautiful ball, perfectly placed, and Tobin bent it toward the goal. The keeper was beaten, and the ball crashed on the right corner of the net.

Time stopped.

We win. It was the first thing Tobin thought. Then, when Allie wrapped her arms around her, whispering some 'thank you, Harry' into her ears, she lifted her eyes and saw the former players on the stands. She smiled at Allie, passed a lot of her teammates, and ran toward the stands. She climbed the barriers and ended up in Lauren and Amy's arms. Both were crying, holding her tight, while on the field everybody was running toward Allie, wrapping her into a tight hug. The 'Harrys' just saved the whole game, the whole team, and the whole country. And every hence of hate Allie ever received seemed to have faded away.

We did it.

Lauren pulled away from Tobin, while Amy's hand was grabbing the midfielder's arm. The three girls looked at each other for what felt a very long time.

"I'm so proud, Tobs." Lauren said in an emotional tone.

"Holy shit I never cried so hard ever since Cheney retired" Amy added.

Tobin was speechless, so Lauren said : "Go back on the field and take credits for once. You deserve it."

She looked at them with teary eyes, and went back on the field. She hugged Julie, who was also crying. The two captains didn't need to say anything ; they just smiled, and joined their team for the final minutes.

They held on, and when the final whistle blown, they just erupted in cheers, tears and all looked at the sky.

°

Christen nervously advanced to the sideline.

Everybody around her was joyfully celebrating their win, but there only was one thing she could think of at the moment. Her eyes were looking for Julie, who was nowhere to be found. She was on of this game's hero, so it was kinda normal. When the blonde finally spotted her girlfriend, standing alone, hands in her pockets, she ran toward her. They hugged, and the defender felt like they were alone for a while.

When Christen gently pulled away, Julie looked at her, surprised. She didn't seem happy ; she seemed anxious. They were now standing near the stands, right on the line. Their team was out there, celebrating, when Christen took a knee. Julie's reaction was immediate ; she put her shaky hands on her mouth, and looked at her girlfriend with teary eyes. The whole stadium stopped cheering and speaking, at they were on the big screen. Their teammates turned around, and smiled.

Christen tried not to cry.

"Julie" she said, loud enough for some people to hear it. "We have been together for a while now, and waking up by your side every day made me stronger. I know our lives are amazing : we have an amazing apartment, an amazing team, both in the international and national level, and two amazing dogs." With that said, she revealed a little object that was on her pocket the whole time. It was a ring, a silver, simple ring. Julie's heart stopped beating on her chest. "You are the most amazing, beautiful perfect person I have ever met, and being able to call you mine is an honour."

She took a small break. Julie wanted to say something, but she just couldn't.

So Christen went on :

"Alyssa came to me a few day before she... And gave me that ring. She told me she didn't know anyone else better than you to wear it, an me to give it to you. She knew I have been thinking about this for a long time now. So, it is under her attentive eyes that I am asking you this question today, and in front of the whole world."

The stadium was still silent.

On the field, their teammates were holding each other, all of them facing the couple. The stands were filled with an amazing atmosphere, as the couples were holding hands, remembering that very special moment. All eyes were locked on Christen and Julie, and not a single parent was telling their kids to look somewhere else ; they didn't want their kids to miss this manifestation of true love. Because yes, even with the heartbreaking events humanity was capable of, love was the only thing pure enough to same them.

Christen breathed out heavily, her eyes locked on Julie's ocean eyes.

"Julie, will you marry me ?"

The defender nodded her head slowly. "Yes, Christen, of course I wanna marry you !" she then exclaimed, falling on her knees.

The then kissed Christen, just after the dark-haired put the ring on her finger. The stadium erupted in cheers for the final time tonight, and the stars were rising above them. Maybe one of them was Alyssa.