13

"The starting lineup for tonight's game is very strong. Gabie Jenkinson having a start in goal this evening, earning her first cap with the National Team ! The 20-year-old has showed a consistency and strength during training, and is ready to take on the field ! The back-line is composed by the usual Julie Johnston and Kelley O'Hara,  supported by Emily Sonnett and Maura Rys, also earning her first cap with the National Team tonight" 

Heather Mitt's voice stopped for a second, before her fellow commentator friend added : "Her season in Kansas City has been very good so far. I believe we'll see her more in the future." 

"Moving on with the midfielders. We of course find Tobin Heath, captain for tonight's game, and the brilliant Allie Long. Those two are fire together on the field ! Then, we have Lindsey Horan and Morgan Brian. Parsons opted for a 4-4-2 formation today. The two starting forward are Christen Press - earning 17 goals in 10 matches for the Red Stars this year - and Mallory Pugh. I don't know how Colombia will deal with there two upfront !" 

"That's right !" Karina LeBlanc added, smiling at the camera. "This seems to be a very strong US team. I hope they had enough time to learn to play together, otherwise tonight could be a total disaster." 

"I believe in them" Heather said. 

° 

The whistle reasoned in the stadium. 32'000 people were here for the game today, a record attendance for this stadium. Most of them were US supporters - everyone could guess it because of the loud chants.

Colombia immediately passed through the midfield defense. One of their players found her way through JJ's and Kelley's defense. She was running right in the goal. We can't take a goal now. That was the thought on everyone's mind. Maura reacted straight away. She ran toward the girl in what felt forever and threw herself on the ground. It was a clean slide tackle, and the ball arrived in Emily's feet. The Thorn was very happy to clear the ball, while Maura was getting up. A huge ovation from the crowd was heard. 

"What a tackle by number 4, Maura Rys ! No wonder she's the new Becky Sauerbrunn ! Woah, what a way to prove that you belong in this team !" Karina LeBlanc commented, really astonished by what she just saw. 

The crowd saw Julie Johnston running toward Maura and telling her something. The two girls were smiling widely, while Jenko was pretty glad that the defender was here, because things could've turned out petty bad. 

After thirteen minutes, Mal found a breach in the Colombian defense. She ran straight at the goalie and shot. She ball hit the back of the net, and the crowd erupted in cheers. Mal ran straight in Christen's arms, while the Colombian were already feeling that the USWNT machine was growing stronger and stronger. 

"This is what you want to see from young players like Mal Pugh" Heather commented, trying to hide her excitement. "She's composed on the ball, and doesn't hesitate a bit before going on 1v1 with the keeper."  

"And the chemistry Press and Pugh have is just unbelievable !" Karina added, all smiles. "If I remember correctly, Press was the one assisting Mal's for international goal ?"

"Yes, she was ! And that made me wonder why wasn't Ellis starting both Christen and Mallory during the Olympics. Those two have such a great impact on the game ! And even with Alex Morgan gone, they still score for the team." 

The game went on. 

Cari was subbed in for Sonnett in the 36th minute. The US just earned a corner, and only Kelley and Maura were left behind in case of something went wrong. Tobin was the one taking the corner - of course, she always was the 'assist queen' as Allie called her. She stepped on the corner area, looking at her teammates battling for a good stop. When Tobin shot the ball - a perfectly driven ball - it landed right on Allie's head. The crowed went loud immediately, as the Colombian goalkeeper was kicking the ground with her hands. 

"What a goal from Allie Long !" Karina LeBlanc yelled. "This is a world-class player we have right here ! She's good everywhere : on the ground, in the air, on set pieces, on the headers... This girl is a beast !" 

"She really is" Heather said, smiling. "And can we walk about her and Tobin's chemistry ? No wonder those two are the leading scorer of the league ! Unbelievable." 

"The US lead 2-0 in the 37th minute !" a commentator said. 

"That's a pay-back for the Olympics right here !" Heather added. "I talked with Tobin the other day, and she said that the team was ready to learn from their mistakes and make America proud again. And that's what they're doing right now." 

Lindsey just dispossessed one of the Colombian midfielders, and passed the ball right at Cari. Knowing that the left side of the field was pretty empty, she threw a long ball right in Tobin's feet. The captain dribbled through the whole Colombian defense, and passed the ball to Christen, who just pulled the trigger. It was a well-driven ball with a little bit of spin on it. It was the third goal. 

Halftime was here, and the USWNT got back to the locker room to have a little chat with Mark. Meanwhile, the supporters were still chanting in the stands. 

° 

"What a mistake from Kelley O'Hara here !"

The defender got up slowly, closing her eyes : she just missed her foul. The Colombian attacker just crashed on the ground, and the ref brew the whistle. It was the 65th minute, and he was pointing at the penalty spot. Jenko's heart was beating very fast, but she tried to ignore the pressure. She was just being held by the chants. People screaming her name, making songs about her.  

The Colombian attacker stepped on the penalty spot, her eyes locked on the ball. Jenko stretched her muscles, and focused on the player rather than on the ball. She tried to decipher her body language. She's gonna go left. She'll try to lobe me. Her grayish eyes were locked on the ball now, as her teammates were looking at her. I won't allow this ball in. I need to have this clean sheet. I need to prove all the people that ever doubted in me that I can make it. I'll stop that ball.  

The attacker took two steps and shot. Jenko stretched her body to the left, and her hands took the ball. She fell on the ground, her arms surrounding the ball. The crowd cheered loudly, as her teammates were jumping on her. It was her first big save. 

"JENKINSON HAS DONE IT ! THE USA ARE STILL UP 3 NOTHING !" Karina was yelling in her mic. "WOAH !" 

"She really is good" Heather said. "I get now why they call her the 'Next Solo'."

On the field, the girls got up, and so did Jenko. She briefly caught eyes with Mal, who was the only one not smiling. But in her eyes, the blonde could see some joy. 

Colombia was done. Crystal, who was subbed in for Morgan Brian, scored two goals in ten minutes, and Lindsey scored in extra-time. The USWNT was back in action, and they didn't disappoint. This 6-0 lead over Colombia was sending a message to the world : the USWNT was here and ready to take its number one position back. 

At least that was what Tobin said to herself.