55

"Babe, what are you doing ?" the dark-haired asked.

The defender had already put her jersey on, while the rest of the Red Stars were still on their training and things. Julie didn't respond right away, waving at Lindsey and Sam to come near her. 

"There is no way I am letting this team down now" Julie angrily said, quickly giving her jacket to Christen. She then pecked her lips, and smiled. "I see you after we win this thing, okay ?"

Christen looked at her girlfriend forcing the coach to let her do something. She ordered the two midfielders to come in for Saskia and Maura - even though those two were defenders - and subbed herself in for Kristie, who was a midfielder. When Tobin approached her to ask her what the fuck she was doing, Julie whispered something to her, and the captain nodded. 

The forward looked at her girlfriend going on the field, greeted by a loud cheering from the crowd. "O-okay" Christen muttered. 

°

"Julie Johnston just came on the field and stormed out everything" Jrue let out, frowning. "What game is she playing ?"

Heather shook her head. "We have now a... what it seems to be a 2-2-3-2 formation" she said, hesitantly looking at the screen. "Julie, what are you doing ?"

The game resumed. 

The US gained possession, thanks to Allie Long, who intercepted a ball coming straight at a Swiss forward. She then dribbled it through the field, and passed a long ball to Lindsey, who had made a tremendous run from the defensive half of the field. Julie was yelling something at her, so Lindsey turned around and passed the ball backwards, right into Julie's feet. The blonde was now on the attacking mid, eliminating the confused Swiss players one by one. Allie, who understood what her move was, ran toward her position, while Sam was making a run on the sideline. 

Julie pulled the trigger, and the ball flew toward the blonde midfielder, who was running the fastest she could. When the ball arrived, it was too high for Sam to put it down, so she just jumped in the air, and her foot miraculously hit the ball, that flew right in the center. Julie was here again, and her diving header hit the back of the net. 

The crowd erupted in cheers. 

"Holy fuck, what was that ?" Jrue exclaimed, practically yelling. He then looked at Heather, and at the cameras. "Sorry for swearing, folks, but what a fucking game play from Johnston, and what a shot from Samantha Mewis !"

Heather had her mouth wide open. "How the fuck did Samantha Mewis reached that ball ?" she asked, her eyes locked on the midfielder, who was slowly getting up. She had crossed the sideline, and the whole team ran toward her and wrapped her into a group hug. "I wasn't expecting that."

"The US are now on the board. 1-2 for Switzerland in the 46th minute."

But less than thirty seconds later, Bachmann got the ball and ran toward the goal. She made a brilliant pass to Dickenmann, who hit it. The ball had enough bend to lob Betos, who couldn't do anything at this point. It was Switzerland's third goal. 

°

On the field, the players didn't know what to do anymore. 

So when Tobin saw Julie calling a team meeting, she held her breath. The girls gathered around a circle, holding each other. 

"How the hell are we supposed to honour Alyssa if we're loosing ? Uhn ?" she yelled, and the girls remained silent, looking down. "LOOK AT ME !" Everybody was surprised by Julie, whose voice was usually pretty chill and calm. Her eyes were filled with fierce. "We are not here to loose today. This team is so much more than a bunch of losers. We are not giving up. So even if you don't have any energy or passion left, you better move your asses, because I want to pay a tribute to my good friend, and I need you to do it. So now, we will fight, till the end, just because we have to. Forget everything you think right now. I want y'all to focus on the goal, and the goal is to win this shit. We are loosing by two points. Let's score three time. COME ON ! ONE, TWO, THREE..."

"TEAM" the girls all yelled in sync. 

As the defender was going back to her position, Tobin intercepted her. She removed the captain armband from her own arm and looked at Julie. "You take it. Today, you are the leader." She then put it on her, and the two girls hugged. 

"Come on, Toby, it's showtime". 

°

"... Horan still with the ball. She passed three defenders, has got Heath on her right. But she decides to go left. Wait, Pugh is here ! The 21-year-old takes the shot and... GOAL ! What a tremendous goal from Mallory Pugh !" Heather commented, on the edge of her seat. 

She and Jrue gave each other a high five, while looking at the screen ; Mal was running right to the US bench and jumped into her teammates' arms. She then searched someone on the crowd, and send that person a light kiss. Heather assumed it was one of her teammates, or maybe all of the former players. 

2-3. 86th minute. The game was becoming more and more tense. 

Switzerland played well. They kept possession, took several shots that Betos brilliantly saved under the applause of the wild crowd here. But they couldn't resist the fierce the uswnt had at the moment. Sonnett dispossessed a Swiss forward and sent a long diagnosed ball toward Ashley. Sanchez just continued her run, picked up the ball, and ran all the way to the goal with it. She was alone, and when she lifted her head, she knew she hadn't much choice. She pulled the trigger, and the ball left the ground with a white sound. 

The ball bounced around, away from the keeper, away from everything but the goal. It hit the crossbar, and ended up passing the line. Ashley, exhausted by her run - she just ran all the way from the US goal to the Swiss goal - just fell on the ground, looking at the sky. That's for you, Naeher, she thought, trying to catch her breath. Mal was the first one to get here. She jumped on her friend, holding her tightly. 

The final whistle blown when they were still on the ground. 

"Sanchez scores in the final seconds of the game, giving the USA a chance to keep on playing in the coming thirty minutes."

°

Mark looked at the girls, pride filling his eyes. 

"We still have two substitutions to make. I want Lena to take Ashley's spot. And Crystal to take Kealia's." the British head coach said, looking around with confidence. "Thanks to Julie's incredible leadership, we still have a chance to get through. So I want every single player to just give their everything. Think about whatever the hell you want, but we have to win this. This is what this team is aiming." 

The girls nodded. 

As they were going back on the field, Kealia grabbed Tobin's arms. They were now alone on the locker room, so Kealia didn't think long before grabbing the middy's neck and pull her closer. Their lips met, and Kealia was the one kissing her with passion. Tobin quickly responded, surprised by her forwardness. She wrapped her arms around Kealia's hips, feeling her heart burn. 

Kealia pulled away slowly, and Tobin just looked at her, in shock. 

"What was that for ?" Tobin asked, truly confused. 

"Go and kick some asses out there, okay ?" Kealia only answered, getting away from their embrace, but taking Tobin's hand in hers, leading her to the field. 

Tobin looked at Kealia walking by her side, their hands now apart from each other. The crowd was cheering, yelling her name, and she was determined. 

She looked at the sky : For Alyssa

{To be continued...}