24 - Two Against One

Start from the beginning

"He didn't?" I gasped in disbelief as I covered my face in shame. I was going to have a serious talk with him. Who talks about their sex life with their mother? I half expected Carmen to hit me.

She sighed loudly but then met my eyes as I dropped my hands and a huge smile grew on her face. I was actually taken back in surprise. I watched Carmen like she had suddenly grown a third head.

Carmen squealed a very girly high pitch sound. It caused some of the little girls to look over at her. "I love you two together! It's so adorable! Evelyn and Blake!"

I made an expression of distaste at the mention of our names. I liked 'Evie and Jay' a lot better but I was too preoccupied and freaked out by Carmen's positive mood to mention it.

"I couldn't think of a better daughter-in-law to have! Oh I can just imagine your wedding and the grandchildren you would give me! They would be the cutest little darlings and I could teach them to dance!"

"Carmen-"

"They would have the most beautiful raven hair and hopefully they would inherit Blake's wonderful blue eyes. Oh those children would be the most amazing little darlings in mythology history. They would be a mixture of Roman and Greek too!"

"Carmen!"

She stopped in her daydreaming and looked at me startled. It was as if she had forgotten that I was even there. "What Evie? Am I too ahead of myself?"

"Way ahead of yourself," I corrected. "Jay and I plan to drop this whole relationship as soon as time runs out for us. We're just enjoying it while it lasts."

"Oh no," Carmen gasped. "No, no, no! You have to spend all your time together! There's only four days left after all! Go home for the day and spend it with him."

She began pushing me toward the exit of the studio. I laughed at her lightly and moved out of her pushing force.

"What's the rush? He knows I have to work and you kept him up all night that he's currently sleeping. We need our time apart sometimes too."

"Soon you'll have nothing but time apart unless you spend all your time together now."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why do you say that?"

Carmen shrugged feigning innocence but I knew exactly what she was thinking.

"You want me to spend more time with him because you think that will make him stay?" Carmen said nothing but she bowed her head. "As opposed to spending his time with you?"

Carmen met my eyes and gave me a small smile. "He hasn't connected to me the way he has with you. I saw it yesterday when he told me all about you. His eyes light up whenever he or anyone else just mentions your name in conversation. He was late in returning to your house last night because I encouraged him to stay and tell me all about your relationship. Once I got him started, he couldn't stop. He repeatedly told me that he was late in meeting you but I would just ask him more and he would tell more. I don't know what you've done to him but he is completely enamored by you. You have some sort of spell on him."

Now it was my turn to look down at the floor. I hadn't expected that at all.

"Please don't break his heart," Carmen suddenly whispered. "I know you're the only one who has the power to do so."

So I had one mama bear against this whole relationship and one mama bear promoting it. I wasn't entirely sure which side I felt better about.

"I want you to take the next few days off," Carmen said suddenly. "It's already decided."