8 - Normalities with Oddities

I was hesitant to go into work the next day. I knew Carmen would be there and I knew she would talk to me about the day before. Was I going to be fired for what I said? Was she going to say she was sorry for how she acted? I really wanted neither of those things. I only wanted her to go back to her normal self.

I took a deep breath and walked in. I was immediately greeted by all the teen girls. I smiled and greeted them all as I made my way to the locker room. I didn't spot Carmen right away but I did see the broken mirror. It had two strips of police tape on it making an 'X' of the whole broken panel. I winced as a few teens continued to inspect the broken panel.

"Don't mess with it," I warned making the girls automatically take a step away from it.

They all giggled at their antics and walked away uninterested. I never really understood teenage girls even when I was one. I continued on my way to changing room. The girls in class had obviously already gotten there and were in their body hugging clothing ready to be taught to dance.

"Do some warm up exercise and I will be out in a few minutes," I commanded in a polite tone as I went into the locker room.

Carmen was sitting with her back toward the door but she knew that someone entered into the room. I also believed that she knew it was me from the start. I set down my things on the floor and opened my locker getting out the things I needed for the day. I didn't even glance in her direction as I began to ready my uniform.

"You're right," she whispered after a few moments. "I've been different because Blake is in town. I've been so excited that I forgot about everything else. I really have no excuse though. I was trying to relive my motherly years and my current life just disappeared from my mind. It isn't Blake's fault though, it's mine. I just...don't know what came over me."

I looked over at the back of her head but didn't comment. She didn't turn to face me either. I believed it was because she didn't want to meet my eyes.

"I'm sorry I acted so rude to you yesterday. I should've yelled at you for the mirror not for not being mad about the mirror."

I couldn't help but smile slightly at her words.

"Blake and I talked and I realized that he's going to be here for a while. I can spend all my free time with him and I don't need to make time. He's fine with that. His business in town starts on Saturday so he'll be busy sometimes but he promised that we can get together at least once a day."

A silence fell over us and I slumped against the locker. "You're really bonding with him then?"

She turned and met my eyes with a huge grin on her face. "He might not look like it but he is the sweetest boy ever! I love him and I hate his father even more for taking my baby away from me. I missed all the great years in his life."

"Yet he's turned out alright? So his father must have done something right?"

Carmen shrugged. "I guess so but let's not get all caught up in my entire obsession with him. I might get in that 'mood' again and neither of us wants that." Carmen stood and came to give me a quick hug. I quickly returned it and when she pulled away, she shoved a cloth at me. Looking down, I noticed it was the ballet skirt I had threw down yesterday.

I frowned at the thing in my hands. "It's my fault too. I mean, I just get so caught up when things change. You know I really hate change. I get so set in my ways that sometimes when just the slightest domino wobbles I feel like the whole chain is coming down. I get so railed up easily that it makes me a bit-"

"Hotheaded?" Carmen guessed with her arms crossed. I gave her a sheepish smile. "You kids both take after your father so much. It's a shame you caught his anger curse."